Espresso....

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

glepore

by glepore

I don't even have a bottomless any longer. I do love my orphan espresso funnel http://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-Stainl ... _5719.html for filling the pf-and stirring if ou want, and they turned me on to a hockey puck on the counter for tapping the pf and tamping.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dgasmd

by dgasmd

glepore wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:17 pm
I don't even have a bottomless any longer. I do love my orphan espresso funnel http://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-Stainl ... _5719.html for filling the pf-and stirring if ou want, and they turned me on to a hockey puck on the counter for tapping the pf and tamping.
I use their funnel too. Pretty handy, especially for the grinder I use. :thumbup:

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

JackRussellRacing wrote:Holy crap fellas. I was going to post some of my layered drinks (my real preference is of course normal espresso and ristretto) but you've set the bar too high.

Really. Damn. Impressive.
For my part, thanks for the kind words!
2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2003 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7)

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

glepore wrote:I don't even have a bottomless any longer. I do love my orphan espresso funnel http://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-Stainl ... _5719.html for filling the pf-and stirring if ou want, and they turned me on to a hockey puck on the counter for tapping the pf and tamping.
I don't use the non-bottomless pfs anymore. Even when someone wants a single shot, I just dose my usual 18g double, but shorten the pull.

Cool about the funnel. I might have to get one of those. I like how it comes in a 53.5mm to fit the La Spaziale machines. That's not always common.

I never thought about using a hockey puck! Great idea and would have saved me $40 over the Cafelat Tamping Stand I bought.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:44 am
i only drink espresso when i go out for dinner. when i go out biking i picked up a cortado habit from my trips to girona. i do have an old fashioned stove top bialata espresso maker. its fantastic. so i laugh when people spend hundreds of dollars on electric contraptions
Funny you say that. I have an old crusty dude in one of the weekend group rides I occasionally join that spends the entire time trashing how everyone in their carbon bikes, carbon wheels, 11 sp kits, clipless pedals, fancy shoes, wearing helmets, Strava, computers, fancy glasses, blah blah blah.... while he still rides his early 90's steel bike with 6 sp. He claims all of it is simply pretentiousness and there is "ZERO" difference whatsoever.

See any similarities here? :smartass: :beerchug:

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I just discovered this thread. Personally, I don't drink traditional Italian espresso, but "Cuban coffee", which is espresso w/ a significant amount of sugar. I make a small 2-cup moka pot, every morning and drink it w/ 6oz of warmed coffee. In the afternoons, I'll mix that same 2 cups of coffee w/ about 2 tbsp of sugar and make a frothy cream - it's all in the wrist ;), which is absolutely delicious.

mentok

by mentok

dgasmd wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:18 pm
See any similarities here? :smartass: :beerchug:
the difference is the laughing. If you enjoy riding your steel frame, drinking your stovetop or pour over then all power to you, but that doesn't mean you need to shit on people who want something different.

I need to do some cleaning on the weekend so I can show off my italian levers...

dgasmd

by dgasmd

the difference is the laughing. If you enjoy riding your steel frame, drinking your stovetop or pour over then all power to you, but that doesn't mean you need to shit on people who want something different.

I need to do some cleaning on the weekend so I can show off my italian levers...
Yes! I actually have 2 stove top coffee makers and love the coffee I make on them from time to time. Completely different animal than a proper espresso machine coffee. They are simply entirely different kinds of drink that use different techniques, different types of coffee beans, and have completely different tastes. About the only thing they have in common is they are liquid, hot, and dark!!

mrfish

by mrfish

Nice pictures. After many years of soldiering along on the coffee equivalent of €200 Walmart bikes, frustration with leaks, crappy steam, manufacturers not supporting older machines and finally lack of flexibility of Nespresso, I raised my game to custom Pegoretti with Super Record levels with a la Marzocco Linea Mini.

Like a top end bike, the machine is very good, but is limited by the operator. I still have problems with some 3rd wave roasts (decided I don’t like them that much anyway) and need a few more months until my latte art is worth photographing.

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

mrfish wrote:I raised my game to custom Pegoretti with Super Record levels with a la Marzocco Linea Mini.
Nice! What did you get for a grinder?

mrfish

by mrfish

Eureka specialita, which is the same size as a Eureka atom but IIRC different burrs and electronic touchscreen timer. Grinds nicely and doesn’t dominate the kitchen.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

mrfish wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:07 pm
Eureka specialita, which is the same size as a Eureka atom but IIRC different burrs and electronic touchscreen timer. Grinds nicely and doesn’t dominate the kitchen.
Pictures of all of it or it didn't happen :welcome:

mrfish

by mrfish

How‘s that?

Also you prompted me to log into my Photobucket account which includes 10 year old lost photos of various bikes, cars and whatnot, which was nice.

User Name

by User Name

I'm not reading the whole thread. :D For those who don't know, one of the cheapest ways to make very nice coffee with ground beans is with a moka pot.
It obviously depends on the coffee. I've had worse coffees made with home machines that cost hundreds of dollars.

The only catch with using them is that they require monitoring, because once the water boils out of the bottom and through the coffee, there's nothing stopping the empty pot cooking on the stove. :D Yes, I've wrecked a couple over the years.

I can't use a plunger; they're voodoo to me, Ha
Last edited by User Name on Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

User Name wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:17 pm
I'm not reading the whole thread. :D For those who don't know, one of the cheapest ways to make very nice coffee with ground beans is with a moka pot.
It obviously depends on the coffee. I've had worse coffees made with home machines that cost hundreds of dollars.

The only catch with using them is that require monitoring, because once the water boils out of the bottom and through the coffee, there's nothing stopping the empty pot cooking on the stove. :D Yes, I've wrecked a couple over the years.

I can't use a plunger; they're farkin voodoo to me, Ha
That's what I use, every morning!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com