Goal: get as fit as possible whilst replicating the experience of riding the most iconic climbs in the world.
- Ground floor apartment outside area 3/4's undercover but with minor exposure to elements. Trainer to mostly be located there.
Former road bike (crashed) and now dedicated indoor bike.
Variable weather in Melbourne.
Training for Alpine Classic (250km, 4km vert), and Three Peaks Falls (235km, 4km vert)
- Ipad 4th Gen (iOS)
Old Laptop (Windows)
May be able to use: Smart-ish TV
Garmin Edge 520
Garmin Edge 500
Google Nexus 5X
On the way:
- Wahoo Kickr v.3/17
Wahoo Climb (approx Jan)
Fan or switch remote?
Certain cables to get things going?
Cover for Indoor Trainer to protect from the elements?
Extension cords, surge protector power board?
Planned trainer apps I will trial, then make a choice for. Thought may be handy for others:
Realism Trainer App Breakdown:
I copied DC Rainmakers app table and removed all things I wasn't interested in. Really keen on doing high quality real course smart trainer controlled rides that link up with strava. Order of importance:
- (1) smart trainer controlled
(2) real course
(3) strava segments integration/ability to upload/export
(4) video simulation/3D likeness to the real deal would be a bonus, but mostly want to be able to jump on the trainer and do the Great Road Climbs of the Dolomites and Italian Alps, the Pyrenees, Southern Alps, and Northern Alps—to the point that it is not too far from actually being there…
(5) Ability to create own routes (if all of the above isn’t possible) would be more icing.
I believe Rouvy, or Fulgaz are the best for this so far. So to check I rated the things that were great, and negative the bad. For those interested:
Let me know if I've missed anything, or any recommendations you may have.