Rear dropout spacing too narrow for a direct drive trainer?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cho00010

by cho00010

I guess this is a question for anyone with an Elite direct drive trainer.

I bought a Direto recently as I'll be forced to do pretty much all my riding indoors for the next few months. But, I've found that the 'hub' spacing is a little too wide when I put on the non-drive side knurled spacer for quick releases.

The bike fits perfectly without this little spacer, but from what I can see in the manual, this little spacer is necessary. Without it the surfaces the dropouts butt up against are entirely smooth.

I have a titanium frame, so it is possible to spread the rear triangle out a few mm to get it to fit, but I'm kinda worried that this may damage the frame. Does anyone else have experience with this? Is it safe to spread the rear triangle a few mm? Should I run the trainer without the little spacer?

Thanks.

chunky666

by chunky666

5mm difference? Disc brakes tend to be 135mm and rim brakes 130mm. Can the spacer be turned round to make the dropout width narrower? Its how its done on a Wahoo Kickr

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kurets

by Kurets

If it is anything like the Elite Turbo Muin, the spacer is intended to accomodate 130 and 135mm wide spaced frames one one axle. The knurled spacer goes outside the dropout for 130mm frames to provide the QR something to press against and inside for 135mm spaced bikes. The knurling should face the bike when the spacer is placed outside the dropout.