Off the bike training

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

pocari123

by pocari123

I've been reading some pro cyclist autobiographies recently and noticed that a few of them spend time in the gym in addition to their bike workout. Although they don't go into detail what types of workouts they do, I'm guessing it's mostly core work.

So I was wondering if you all do any core work off the bike and which core exercises do you find are best for cyclists?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sanrensho

by sanrensho

I do kettlebells year-round, concentrating on core/upper body and incorporating lower body during the winter. Has completely eliminated back pain during riding (and running). Equipment is minimal and requires little space. There is an endless variety of kettlebell exercises to keep from getting bored.

Core/upper body: Swings, round the body, rack and shoulder press, goblet press, bent/upright rows, bicep curls, shrugs. Bodyweight: Pushups and pullups.

syplam

by syplam

sanrensho wrote:I do kettlebells year-round, concentrating on core/upper body and incorporating lower body during the winter. Has completely eliminated back pain during riding (and running). Equipment is minimal and requires little space. There is an endless variety of kettlebell exercises to keep from getting bored.

Core/upper body: Swings, round the body, rack and shoulder press, goblet press, bent/upright rows, bicep curls, shrugs. Bodyweight: Pushups and pullups.

How many sets/reps do you do?

Rubik

by Rubik

None. Any time I would have to do that I would instead ride. Best way to get faster/better.

recompany

by recompany

Doing balancing work and flexibility training can increase performance on the bike as well as injury prevention

sanrensho

by sanrensho

syplam wrote:
How many sets/reps do you do?

General rule of thumb is 2-3 sets x 5-12 reps each. During periods of heavy riding, I'm in maintenance mode, so I may only do a core/upper body superset and spend 5-10 minutes at the start or end of the day.

There are also tons of kettlebell exercises that can be done for lower body/legs, which I incorporate from late fall to early spring.

JohnHunt1990

by JohnHunt1990

It's worth consulting a physio during the off season. I had a bike fit in the middle of the season and the physio doing the fit identified that the position I was in was fine, however I was a mess. I was then given a series of exercises to do to work on my weaknesses - loosening tight areas and strengthening weaker ones.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertbb

by robertbb

Swimming. I use a snorkel (especially designed for swimming, goes up the front over the forehead) which ensures spine/neck are straight. I use hand paddles for resistance and a pull buoy between legs to ensure legs are not engaged. I swim only freestyle, and do 1500m to 2000m two to three times a week (depending on volume on the bike), at a zone 3 (steady state) tempo. I find for maintaining both flexibility and core strength this is the best workout and won't result in much if any weight gain unlike weights.