Winter training question

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cho00010

by cho00010

I'm starting my winter training next week as I'm in Scotland and the weather has sucked since May.

The question I have is what should I do until next week? I want to be fresh for the FTP test on Monday, but I also don't want to do nothing this week.

Do you guys do any 'leg openers the day before an FTP test?

EDIT: I'll be training indoors on a turbo.
Last edited by cho00010 on Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rubik

by Rubik

I don't ever do ftp tests, but if I haven't ridden much, I'll always do a ride with some efforts before a bigger ride/race. Something like 15 mins at sweet spot, or 2-3 x 2 mins a bit above threshold, etc.

If I'm training a lot, I'll probably just do a short ride with a little tempo and a sprint or three.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

whats the point in an FTP test. last night I did a real world test. 20 mins as hard as i could on the road while looking where I am going and slowing down for junctions and the like. no one ever rides as hard as you do in a proper FTP test so it is meaningless in my eye's. a better test would be finding a long hill and ride up it. If you have a 10 or 20 minute climb near you then that will do.

What to do this week - go ride your bike it's not difficult. If testing interupts go riding your bike dont do the test.
Last edited by bm0p700f on Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cho00010

by cho00010

The point of the FTP test is to allow me to set my training zones and train accurately rather than just on feel.

Rubik

by Rubik

bm0p700f wrote:whats the point in an FTP test. last night I did a real world test. 20 mins as hard as i could on the road while looking where I am going and slowing down for junctions and the like. no one ever rides as hard as you do in a proper FTP test so it is meaningless in my eye's. a better test would be finding a long hill and ride up it. I you have a 10 or 20 minute climb near you then that will do.

What to do this week - go ride your bike it's difficult. I testing interupts go riding your bike dont do the test.

While I don't think you're going to figure out your ftp from a 20 min test (since that's not your FTP), testing is training and training is testing. It's not going to mess up your training. Rather, it's a part of your training. Like a workout. Warmup, do your test, tack on another interval since one 20 min whatever isn't much of a workout, and you're good to go.

cho00010 wrote:The point of the FTP test is to allow me to set my training zones and train accurately rather than just on feel.

You don't need a 20 min test to set zones and train. Go out and do your workout. If it was easy, go harder next time. If it wasn't easy but was manageable, continue at that power and add another rep or more time.

You should always be increasing some aspect anyway, whether it's actual power, time at that power, or number of repetitions.

In any case, though, it's still training, so if you feel like it's necessary, enjoy the agony!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I think the above nicely expands on my thoughts and explains it alot better. There is nothing wrong with feel. Even with a power meter I go by feel alot as you can push yourself too hard as well. I dont even bother with a heart rate monitor there is only so much I can take in from the head unit. I think too many riders focus too much on there data.