Strava cheaters

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

stoney
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:26 am

by stoney

eBikes are the worst. Why would you even upload to Strava an eBike ride? You didn't work for the distance or speed so no need to track your workout time.

by Weenie


User avatar
53x12
Posts: 3762
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:02 am
Location: On the bike

by 53x12

fromtrektocolnago wrote:honestly , i'm more irritated by indoor strava rides.


Are you also irritated by indoor Zwift rides?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

1415chris
Posts: 1045
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:59 am
Location: Surrey UK

by 1415chris

Why would you put indoor training among those who cheat?
In what sens it's cheating?

Swannie
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:48 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

by Swannie

fromtrektocolnago wrote:honestly , i'm more irritated by indoor strava rides.


Why is that? I'm a father of 2, oldest 4 and youngest 2, full time job and my goal is 350km / week from march till end of september. 200 - 250 a week october till februari.
I have time on tuesdayevening, wednesdayevening, sunday and if i m lucky also saturday.
But here in Belgium it does happen the weather is simply to bad to train outside.
So then i train inside on my tacx, on a resistance compared to training outside. No avg like someguys @ 45k an hour.
2 hours on the tackx to me is much harder than 2 hours on the street!

However i made a bikeprofile 'stumpjumper tacx' so i can see how many hours / 'km's ' i did inside.

Rubik
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:59 pm

by Rubik

I always report crazy-looking strava koms. I've reported stuff in other states I've never even ridden just because it popped up when looking at someone's ride.

Takes all of 2 secs.
Cat 1

fromtrektocolnago
Posts: 989
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:15 pm

by fromtrektocolnago

53x12 wrote:
fromtrektocolnago wrote:honestly , i'm more irritated by indoor strava rides.


Are you also irritated by indoor Zwift rides?

same difference
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Trek 5200(ultegra)

User avatar
53x12
Posts: 3762
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:02 am
Location: On the bike

by 53x12

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
53x12 wrote:
fromtrektocolnago wrote:honestly , i'm more irritated by indoor strava rides.


Are you also irritated by indoor Zwift rides?

same difference


Why is that?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

fromtrektocolnago
Posts: 989
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:15 pm

by fromtrektocolnago

53x12 wrote:
fromtrektocolnago wrote:
53x12 wrote:
fromtrektocolnago wrote:honestly , i'm more irritated by indoor strava rides.


Are you also irritated by indoor Zwift rides?

same difference


Why is that?


riding indoors on a trainer, may be a good training tool, but its not cycling. at least that's my opinion.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Trek 5200(ultegra)

jorryt
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:37 am

by jorryt

So you are harmed because someone is training indoors? He doesn't take any KOM's and he really is riding his bike.

fromtrektocolnago
Posts: 989
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:15 pm

by fromtrektocolnago

jorryt wrote:So you are harmed because someone is training indoors? He doesn't take any KOM's and he really is riding his bike.



don't build a strawman. i never said harmed, simply annoyed and it shows up in club rankings. if strava built a separate category or filter the issue would go away
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Trek 5200(ultegra)

User avatar
53x12
Posts: 3762
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:02 am
Location: On the bike

by 53x12

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
jorryt wrote:So you are harmed because someone is training indoors? He doesn't take any KOM's and he really is riding his bike.



don't build a strawman. i never said harmed, simply annoyed and it shows up in club rankings. if strava built a separate category or filter the issue would go away



Someone needs to spend more time on their bike putting out watts and less time worried about the club rankings.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

jorryt
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:37 am

by jorryt

Indeed

Rubik
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:59 pm

by Rubik

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
jorryt wrote:So you are harmed because someone is training indoors? He doesn't take any KOM's and he really is riding his bike.



don't build a strawman. i never said harmed, simply annoyed and it shows up in club rankings. if strava built a separate category or filter the issue would go away


Is a person not pedaling indoors? Is power not being produced? Are kJ not being expended?

Riding inside counts just as much as riding outside. Good, efficient way to get fit.
Cat 1

zazo
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:25 pm
Location: Slovenia

by zazo

There is E-Bike Ride category in Strava, but probably nobody uses it, just like everyone uploads their walks as runs, and totals are useless for any comparison...

TheKaiser
Posts: 470
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:29 pm

by TheKaiser

Isn't Strava supposed to have an algorithm that recognizes KOMs set in a car post ride? I thought they said they did, until I forgot to turn off my phone and accidentally set a couple KOMs myself, doing 45mph up a 1mi 6% grade climb. It is an easy mistake to make, as the phone app can be a little clunky, especially if you have a weak signal, and may upload the ride without alerting you that you didn't hit stop at the end of the ride. That sort of thing should be easily recognizable by a rudimentary algo.

Indoor rides shouldn't be a problem for KOM hunters. It sounds like it is the people looking to get recognized for most mi/week that have an issue with them counting equally.

Ebikes are going to be a disaster for Strava. Requiring just HR wouldn't even be enough, because you have could have a somewhat unfit person on an ebike, redlining themselves, so they are really putting out a high relative effort, but they are getting a 250w electric boost, which would put their own personal redline into Froome territory for speed. Requiring power would help, but you could always have someone using a Powertap on an ebike and, as far as I know, it wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Maybe they can use the phone sensors to recognize the EMF put out by the motor, in a manner similar to the UCI bike checks. Other than that, I think the days of (semi) reliable KOMs are over.

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post