Strava cheaters

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Rudi

by Rudi

Didn't even know that option existed :-)
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

If it bothers you, flag it. You're not branding the guy a cheat, just getting rid of a corrupted data file. Can't see why it'd bother anyone. If I noticed I'd got a KOM because of bad data I'd point it out to strava myself for them to fix it or erase it.

Asteroid

by Asteroid

I don't believe Strava makes much of an effort to fix erroneous data.
They instead rely on the community of users to police the site. Individual users must crop out their mistakes.
In my case, I saved certain segments known to get vehicular travel activity.
Easy enough to spot and flag. Sometimes the rider goes in an crops out their 78mph 5% gradient segments.
But usually they just seem to let it lapse. Flagging does pull them off the KOM boards.

From my perspective, my interest is to see proper data. Less concern over KOMs (in fact, I've got none!) and more to just see how I stack up against friends and pros alike. Segments around my area is stacked with pro peloton riders, due to ToC and training camps breezing thru. Phinney, VanAvermardt, Craddock, etc populate many sections.
To me, it's sort of like golf (far from my favorite sport): you're playing mostly against yourself, to see how you stack up on a particular round or course. You might even come out even on a par 5 hole, while some pro double bogeyed it in a recent tourney. You're not competing against that pro, but it provides some entertainment value. :D
Oldbie

AJS914

by AJS914

I was listening to the latest Velownews Fast Talk podcast the other day and they were speculating about the coming boom of e-bikes. This is going to be a big sea-change in cycling. People will still be bitching about KOMs on Strava.

schroeds

by schroeds

antonioiglesius wrote:
Brendan Edwards
Your rides are solely based around stealing KOM’s...

I find this... really really sad. He's delusional..

Hey guys, agree with how this looks however.... this is going to sound annoyingly cryptic, but I have some local knowledge on this one and there's a lot more to it than meets they eye. Gonna leave it there, just a reminder that the front page story isn't always all there is.

There are some freaks out there!

creed444

by creed444

i ve seem cheafters using electric bikes.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

schroeds wrote:
antonioiglesius wrote:
Brendan Edwards
Your rides are solely based around stealing KOM’s...

I find this... really really sad. He's delusional..

Hey guys, agree with how this looks however.... this is going to sound annoyingly cryptic, but I have some local knowledge on this one and there's a lot more to it than meets they eye. Gonna leave it there, just a reminder that the front page story isn't always all there is.

There are some freaks out there!

All my Strava rides are based on getting KOMs. I don't see the point of Stravaing a ride unless you're racing for the win. If you're just out for a cruise, why document it?

AJS914

by AJS914

Some people like to use Strava to track their rides and see what friends are doing on their bike. Other people live in areas where there are lots of pros and cat 1s and have almost no chance of ever getting a KOM. You can still go for it on segments and compare yourself to your previous attempts.

jorryt

by jorryt

I like to document my rides. This way I can see what I rode and if I forget what way to go on a ride I can see where I went the last time.

KCookie

by KCookie

I use Strava so I can better myself on different segments, love coming home and seeing a PB, I'm first this year on a few segments, will never get KOM as the pros hold them around my area, but I really don't care, I don't ride that often and it's for fitness. Once the TDU arrives with thousands of cyclists in January I will loose all the first places but it will then make me ride harder to get them back.

3Pio

by 3Pio

I use STRAVA for loging my riding, and use it more to beat my own times. Sometimes we try to beat each other times (friends that we ride together, and that's good for motivation), and have only one KOM (which i did not even know that it was KOM, since it was hidden segment). When i installed Stravistix i realized that.

Another motivation happen when u see other ridings, so make u riding even more. Also good to discover new routes for riding so u are getting ideas what else u can ride...

And when i go to totaly foreign country's i definetely check on strava what is popular riding in that area (so i create my own riding plans based on that (that way i was riding in Italy around Treviso).

It also made me new friends and riding companions.. For example last holliday, i join the local Strava club, so after few rides, they invite me to ride with them (and was really great riding, and they were really nice friends as well.Probably we'll ride again next season together..)

After the ride like to analyze on long ridings, on what part i was slower, what part i was faster.. And freshness and fitness analyze's tool, and specially Stravistix plugin (im doing this with cup of coffee and it's some kind of my riding ritual...)

There was few cheaters that i report to strava, when they log segments riding on motorbike or in car.. No care about timing and their KOM's this way, but care that this ridings give wrong idea about the segment and if i take them as pure data, this is Junk Data.. And junk data should be deleted...

schroeds

by schroeds

Lelandjt wrote:All my Strava rides are based on getting KOMs. I don't see the point of Stravaing a ride unless you're racing for the win. If you're just out for a cruise, why document it?

Do you live in North Alaska by any chance?

Or are you a pro?

Has to be one of those two things.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

No to north alaska, yes to pro. Before Strava I'd use a handlebar mounted timer and a notebook to keep track of times. Now Strava replaces those but I rarely use it when I'm not going the fastest I can on a segment.
Last edited by Lelandjt on Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

AJS914 wrote:Some people like to use Strava to track their rides and see what friends are doing on their bike. Other people live in areas where there are lots of pros and cat 1s and have almost no chance of ever getting a KOM. You can still go for it on segments and compare yourself to your previous attempts.

Okay, so either to compete with yourself or to see how much you've been riding. So there are users posting plenty of rides without top 10s.
But just because you use it that way doesn't make it look odd to you when a user only occassionally posts rides and they always have top 10s, right? Is it really considered "stealing KOMs" if you go out with the goal of setting a new record on a section of trail or road? I'm thinking the "victim" in this situation is just being weird about it but I'd love to hear the inside story from the guy on here who knows.

AJS914

by AJS914

I think we all agreed that the guy accusing someone of "stealing KOMs" needs to get some perspective.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com