Strava cheaters

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ahillock

by Ahillock

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
jorryt wrote:So you are harmed because someone is training indoors? He doesn't take any KOM's and he really is riding his bike.

don't build a strawman. i never said harmed, simply annoyed and it shows up in club rankings. if strava built a separate category or filter the issue would go away

Why annoyed with club rankings? Riding on a trainer indoors is still training. Still putting out the watts and spinning those legs. No chip of your shoulder if some guys work + family life doesn't allow them to put in the miles they would like outside. Some guys have to wake up early to put some time on the trainer or stay up late when rest of family is asleep to get their miles in. Just happy they are doing what they can.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tomee

by tomee

not saying this guy is a cheater but 99% of his rides he claims KOM's day after day

https://www.strava.com/athletes/3103918

Asteroid

by Asteroid

tomee wrote:not saying this guy is a cheater but 99% of his rides he claims KOM's day after day

His rides look legit to me. He offended another cyclist who claimed he keeps "stealing" his KOMs.
It takes quite an effort to earn those, mostly on flat or rolling segments.
Hardly competitive, from what I could tell, as most of segments number less than 500 riders.
Some of the segments in my area number over 10,000.
Oldbie

Rubik

by Rubik

TheKaiser wrote:
Maybe they can use the phone sensors to recognize the EMF put out by the motor, in a manner similar to the UCI bike checks. Other than that, I think the days of (semi) reliable KOMs are over.

Nah. Riders will police themselves. I know the owners of every decently contested KOM in three to four different counties around here. And we're almost all cat 1s, 2s, or 3s.

If some random guy we've never heard of swipes one, it's flagged pretty quickly. Especially in the context of any of their other rides. It's really easy to spot.

Rubik

by Rubik

Asteroid wrote:
tomee wrote:not saying this guy is a cheater but 99% of his rides he claims KOM's day after day

His rides look legit to me. He offended another cyclist who claimed he keeps "stealing" his KOMs.
It takes quite an effort to earn those, mostly on flat or rolling segments.
Hardly competitive, from what I could tell, as most of segments number less than 500 riders.
Some of the segments in my area number over 10,000.

The comments are an extremely hilarious read.

Having his KOMs stolen has ruined his Strava experience! Hahahaha.

Even more hilarious since the guy whining about losing his KOMs barely even rides to begin with! Wow.

Ahillock

by Ahillock

I like that Scott Bradley guy. Brendan Edwards and Kent M come across as DBs who need to HTFU and put some more miles in their legs and stop worrying about what other people are doing and worry about themselves. I lol'd when the one said the guy who took the KOMs was a 'cyber bully.' haha

AJS914

by AJS914

Hilarious. Nobody owns KOMs. So many gems in this post:

Brendan Edwards
Your rides are solely based around stealing KOM’s, and the level of planning and obsession that goes into your hunts is quite high, and don’t buy for a second that you don’t specifically target my KOM’s. There have been far too many times when you have made the conscious decision to pick one of my segments and put yourself deep in the pain cave to take me down. You choose which one’s you go for, and obviously you’ve taken a liking to mine as there’s no one else who you’ve even stolen a fraction of what you’ve stolen from me. You claim that it’s nothing personal, but how can explain doing what you’ve done over a 16 month period? I’ve taken your beating. There’s been close to 40 of them. There is something seriously wrong with you if you can’t recognise that your actions are causing me pain, and I don’t know how to get through to you to stop. This is not a game, and you have gone well and truly overboard. Just because I have a large number of KOM’s shouldn’t give you licence to devote what has been close to a year and a half of your life to taking me down. Seriously what are you getting from this? I’m not your enemy. I haven’t stolen a single KOM off you, and frankly I’ve got better things to do with my time. I’ve taken your beating and kept quiet, but everything you have written above indicates that you intend to keep your one sided war going, and wouldn't be surprised if you are already planning your next attack on my segments. Seriously stop. Do you get pleasure in making enemies on Strava? What have i done to deserve this treatment from you? You never answered that. You just babbled on about how you have a right to steal everybody's KOM's because they're public property. and obviously because I have many, this gives you licence to steal them all..... There's enough segments out there that you can happily steal off others for years and years to come. As to your crack about the pot calling the kettle black. I've set-up over 800 segments over the years. The majority of mine I created. Not stolen,

53x12

by 53x12

^ That's a gem. That Brendan Edwards sounds like he might be a member on here.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

tomycs

by tomycs

To be fair for that scenario, Scott vs Brendan, neither have HR or cadence data on those Koms (on the 2 segments I've opened) so they could both be driving up and down those segments.

Anyway, my experience was that you outgrow the segment part of it, in about 1 year or 2 of Strava.

Rubik

by Rubik

tomycs wrote:
Anyway, my experience was that you outgrow the segment part of it, in about 1 year or 2 of Strava.

Four years on Strava. September is hunting season, along with Feb/March. The rest of the time is defense/maintenance. If someone takes one of my segments, I try to go take two of theirs. :lol:

I also paid for veloviewer this year, to up my Strava experience to the next level.

:mrgreen:

Real-life internet!!!

PinaF8

by PinaF8

Rubik wrote:
fromtrektocolnago wrote:
jorryt wrote:So you are harmed because someone is training indoors? He doesn't take any KOM's and he really is riding his bike.

don't build a strawman. i never said harmed, simply annoyed and it shows up in club rankings. if strava built a separate category or filter the issue would go away

Is a person not pedaling indoors? Is power not being produced? Are kJ not being expended?

Riding inside counts just as much as riding outside. Good, efficient way to get fit.

He is irritated because there was no coffee stop during his training.
S-WORKS VENGE 1ST GEN
PINARELLO F8
PINARELLO F10
2018 BMC SLR01
2019 SCOTT SPARK RC 900

Wormiez

by Wormiez

Last edited by Wormiez on Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

boots2000

by boots2000

Who cares?

Since when did Strava become reality?

Hellgate

by Hellgate

boots2000 wrote:Who cares?

Thank you...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Rubik

by Rubik

boots2000 wrote:Who cares?

My strava KOMs are more "famous" than my actual race wins. At least I've had far, far more people I don't know or seldom see mention something on Strava versus an actual race result.

Everyone can strava, only a few try to race.

So a lot of people care. Clearly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com