Any tips on resuming training after a long(ish) break?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

For the first time I've been forced to take some time off cycling without an injury being the cause. I am finishing a PhD, and I've been way too busy. I don't feel like it's necessary to go into greater detail, the main point is that I haven't been cycling for a good few months now.

This is a new situation for me, and I'm a bit unsure how to get back into training again, without overdoing it or something like that. I was training around 8-10 hours a week, and my FTP was approx. 4 w/kg when I stopped. My own idea would be to do a new FTP test, and start following a program (I used to use TrainerRoad). But is it better to focus on endurance training now, or short/hard intervals? The cyclocross season is just around the corner, so in order to get some fun out of that, I would lean towards the shorter intervals, to regain some sprinting ability.

Any input/thoughts?

by Weenie

Rubik

by Rubik

I took years and years off. I came back, rode easy for about a week, then started SST and threshold intervals 3-4x a week, along with a group ride, typically around 8-12 hours a week. Within 3 months I was at 90%+ what I was when I left, and within 6 months was getting podiums at p/1/2 races.

It all came back really quickly.

Cyclocross is aerobic, so the better your aerobic conditioning, the more harder efforts you'll be able to make throughout the race. I'd sprinkle in some 30-60s stuff, but still focus primarily on threshold and that vicinity.
Cat 1

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Great, thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

What you did sounds more or less like what I had in mind myself.

Snabb

by Snabb

I`m in the same situation. Was in good shape in the spring and raced and then took the summer "off". My experience is that the first weeks no structure is needed just ride. Because you will feel like s*it most of the time but slowly you will start to feel better again. Don`t push it just ride and have fun. Fitness will come back faster than you think. Atleast thats what I`m telling myself.
Ride lots!

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

find some group rides and dont look at your computer

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

I vote for some long easy rides to start. It will take a few weeks for your rear-end and knees to get used to the bike again.

by Weenie

AJS914

by AJS914

After 3 months of snow, I jump started my spring by vowing to ride every day for two weeks up and down the bike trail. Two weeks/200 miles was enough to make riding a habit again and get the kinks out and get the butt used to riding.