TrainerRoad - Short Power Build

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

siauragama

by siauragama

cerb wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:50 pm
- Do a slow countdown. Don't watch the interval timer and instead count down in your head, but do it slowly. For a 2min hard interval, I slowly count to 75 - when I get there, I look at the timer and usually find i've only got <30sec to go. This is a big mental win and gets me through 9/10 times.
Oh yeah this works :) Not only in training. I do this in races when it gets really hard.
Need to bridge up to a breakaway? Brain shutdown and slowly count to 90.
1.. 2... 10.. five more.. where was I?.. 1.. 2..

Otherwise I also find TR workouts pretty brutal, but also I feel progress so there's that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

siauragama wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:00 am
cerb wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:50 pm
- Do a slow countdown. Don't watch the interval timer and instead count down in your head, but do it slowly. For a 2min hard interval, I slowly count to 75 - when I get there, I look at the timer and usually find i've only got <30sec to go. This is a big mental win and gets me through 9/10 times.
Oh yeah this works :) Not only in training. I do this in races when it gets really hard.
Need to bridge up to a breakaway? Brain shutdown and slowly count to 90.
1.. 2... 10.. five more.. where was I?.. 1.. 2..

Otherwise I also find TR workouts pretty brutal, but also I feel progress so there's that.

100% agreement! I use TrainerRoad in the same manner.

My brain pacing is to count from 30 down to 1... and that usually equates to a single minute. On VO2 stuff, it allows me to *not* look at the screen and just compartmentalize my efforts. And not surprisingly, nowadays when I'm on the road and its my turn to pull or I'm in the midst of a very difficult climb/effort, I do the same mental countdown.

It's always charming to realize I've missed digits, jumped forward or jumped backwards in my count during a really hard effort. My feeble little brain can't even process the mundane task of counting when my legs/lungs/heart are so far beyond the comfort zone!