Help needed: Looking ahead to my winter indoor training.

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

3Pio

by 3Pio

waltthizzney wrote:you are wasting your time using virtual power, just buy a power meter and a dumb trainer

Of course that power meter is much better.. But if u dont have one, virtual power also can be helpfull...Planing to buy power meter in some future, but still not ready :) So that why i got INRide version, to check if that is better then just Virtual Power...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

3Pio wrote:
waltthizzney wrote:you are wasting your time using virtual power, just buy a power meter and a dumb trainer

Of course that power meter is much better.. But if u dont have one, virtual power also can be helpfull...Planing to buy power meter in some future, but still not ready :) So that why i got INRide version, to check if that is better then just Virtual Power...

well there is no point buying a smart trainer over a power meter and a dumb trainer

3Pio

by 3Pio

waltthizzney wrote:
3Pio wrote:

well there is no point buying a smart trainer over a power meter and a dumb trainer

Im saying the same :) So that why i bought Dumb Trainer (Kinetic Road Machine 2.0), with some kind of power meter (InRide Module) :) I share ur opinion that is better good Dumb Trainer (in term of quality, feeling of ride etc..), and PowerMeter vs Smart Trainer...

BTW, i bought the InRide module just because it was cheap.. (like 25-30 eur).If it was more then this price, i wouldnt bother at all...

https://www.kurtkinetic.com/inride-prod ... tic-inride

About real power meter.. Why im not still ready:

- Expensive (building this bike, i spend much over first limit i had)

- Not sure that i want to ride by the power meter all the time

- Waiting real world reviews and problems for Assioma Favero and Garmin Vector 3 pedals (if i go real power meter, i'll go one of this.. I prefer Favero are lighter and cheaper. But Garmin Vector 3 have advanced pedal metrics, which seem to me like something that can help adjusting position in detail)

3Pio

by 3Pio

Ok, im finally a bit better (i was sick for 10 days), so yesterday i done my first indoor training session on Kinetic Road Machine, and using Inride 2.0 pod.

Im using Trainerroad software, and yesterday was 8min FTP test (whole ride is 1 hour).

Im using Kinetic Matt and Vittoria ZafiroPro HomeTrainer tire (seem that is more silent sing this tire compared to old road tire).

Riding this way i can say that i love the RoadMachine feeling, and its very natural.Very good feel when u stop pedalling or when u try to sprint as well and never noticed tire slip for now (im touching the tire, and 2 turns from there). Much better then my old Trainer (Elite Mag). Also the whole trainer is made sturdy, high quality, and probably will last long time

Im positevely suprised on Noise Levels, since i expected to be noiser, but i can say it's nothing to worry about. Tried to measure noise level using my Phone(Redmi 3S), putting next to the trainer, and the maximum was 64 db. But it's possible to talk normal while u training, and dont need to raise voice or something...

For Trainerroad im using Mac version, installed on MacMini computer. I Also i have ANT+ stick, but the first ride was using BLE to connect to InRide module (transmitting speed/cadence/power) and to my chest strap.

I bought a Sigma R1 Dual band strap (BlueTooth/ANT+), and i must say this is also a good product, since feel comfortable (same as my Garmin HR Strap from EDGE 520), and in same time transmit BLE and ANT+, so i can see the heart rate on Trainerroad and plus on my Head unit (Garmin Edge 520), in same time.

Why i used Garmin edge 520 in same time with trainerroad on the screen? To check the valuse if they match.

And here is where InRide does not work very well. As i can see speed match with Ant+ value on my garmin, but cadence dont match all the time. When there is constant cadence they are close enough, but when there is sprinting, chaning in cadence etc, the cadence does not match by big margin. For example, i had cadence on Garmin unit using their ANT+ sensors of 133, Inride showed 65 until i keep it steady so they matched (but after 1 or 2 min).

So i'll try for next session to use InRide just for Power, and cadence/speed from Garmin ANT+.

3Pio

by 3Pio

After few more rides, here is more details...

Kinetic Road Machine is definetely one of the things i bought which i dont regret and i think it's really worth.

Amazing feeling (very road like), and i dont consider it as noisy trainer.

After i found out that INRIDE Cadene is not accurate, i started using Garmin ANT+ cadence/speed sensors, and INRIDE just for power. In Trainerroad they have priority of this sensors over INRIDE, so they automaticly choose them over Inride.

To get as accurate as possible values when i start ride, after warm up of 10 minutes i calibrate INRIDE. I made change in term of tire pressure, and instead 8 bar, i switched to 7.5 bar. Trainerroad suggest 7 bar (minimum wroten on side wall of the tire), but somehow i have more slippage on slippage test (fast spin of the wheel back-forward), so i choosed to go for 7.5.

Tension still 2.5 turns after touching the tire..

BTW, i done the FTP test twice, and twice was wrong :) so tommorow i'll do it again.. First time i was still sick, so i did not wanted to over do it, yesterday i done it again. I made mistake that i was trying to dont shift too much, and get the power with high cadence.. It's wrong :) on dumb trainer, u an shift as much as u like and try to keep cadence 80-100 rpm. So tommorow i guess proper ftp test.

BTW, im impressed by Trainrroad support. They asnwer all my questions promptly and very detailed. Also plenty of usefull information on the screen while riding, and whole platform is very usefull...

dkoor

by dkoor

After quite a bit of time...

I hope you're still satisfied with your KK device...
Couple of tens of thousands km's later, I'm still going strong with it in like 4th or 5th season now...

I actually dug small cannal in the metallic roller that touches rear tire :D , it's not visible but I can feel it under my fingers...
This is a seriously good product, still provides excellent feel of resistance and barely any signs of wear :thumbup:

My only gripe with it was the inRide device, in old versions it was very buggy, I actually ordered new version and it works nicely for me... I rarely use it, only here and there for power, since I use my Garmin cadence/speed sensors.

However, I'm not really pumped for performance and I suppose I wont be any time soon. I'm satisfied with my level of fitness and I think after all the time I put in my training, that it is more important for me to be very frequent on trainer that it is to push hard on it. Your mileage, however may vary.
Bottom line, however you use this device I suppose you'll be satisfied with it.