How to get faster

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

oraclesin

by oraclesin

i think.. First, strengthen your leg by weight training and lose weight. it's going to get faster

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

ride with people faster than you, the only way to really see what your limits are

mvnsnd

by mvnsnd

You can get faster by riding more and with some structure. The proven method is intervals. What you want to target is both boosting your FTP and your ability to recover from hard efforts. Riding with a fast group will give you the chance to put an effort in on the front and then recover on the back.

If you have an indoor trainer, there are many ways to do intervals indoors and many of them can also be done outside providing its safe. As an example of some training sessions, have a look at the Zwift training sessions here: https://whatsonzwift.com/workouts/

AJS914

by AJS914

Riding with a fast group will give you the chance to put an effort in on the front and then recover on the back.

Or, the group is so fast that you are hanging on for dear life at the back. :-) At least you are getting a great threshold or VO2 max interval!

BrianDelson

by BrianDelson

I optimize my training with structured intervals.
I play all by myself. You won't find any better player than me. You' d better ask around about au.vogueplay.com bonus. I can't live without them.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

waltthizzney wrote:ride with people faster than you, the only way to really see what your limits are

This. Aero helmets, shoe covers, wheels, none of that is "getting faster". Google your local area for Clubs that have fast training rides, or better yet Racing-focused clubs. Join them on a training ride. I guarantee you will get faster.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

dmulligan

by dmulligan

Structured interval training with power. First I read Charmichael's Time Crunched Cyclist. I was sold in the idea of training with power but couldn't justify a power meter then found Trainerroad had this new feature (at the time) called virtual power. I made my, so far, biggest improvements that first winter.
I recommend subscribing to Trainerroad and starting a Sweet Spot Base plan while you do the research to figure out what you want to do longer term. That plan is a great starting point to get you used to structured interval training and Trainerroad is a per month subscription so it won't cost you much while you decide.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Rubik

by Rubik

wheelbuilder wrote:
waltthizzney wrote:ride with people faster than you, the only way to really see what your limits are

This. Aero helmets, shoe covers, wheels, none of that is "getting faster". Google your local area for Clubs that have fast training rides, or better yet Racing-focused clubs. Join them on a training ride. I guarantee you will get faster.

Except it is getting faster. It will have a more significant impact on your speed than your fitness will, and it's quite a bit easier to achieve, especially position, tubes/tires, clothing and helmet.

In any case, it's not an either/or situation, it's a "both" situation. Even the strongest dudes on group rides will be giving up .5 mph+ if they're rolling around with gatorskins and jerseys a size too big.

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

Rubik wrote:
wheelbuilder wrote:

Except it is getting faster. It will have a more significant impact on your speed than your fitness will, and it's quite a bit easier to achieve, especially position, tubes/tires, clothing and helmet.

In any case, it's not an either/or situation, it's a "both" situation. Even the strongest dudes on group rides will be giving up .5 mph+ if they're rolling around with gatorskins and jerseys a size too big.

lol you are comparing the most marginal of gains to having the right mentality towards training maximizing your physical potential and athletics in general.

Why is it that in general, the nicer the bike, the slower the rider, you are clueless. This is what separates actual athletes from people like you.

Rubik

by Rubik

waltthizzney wrote:
lol you are comparing the most marginal of gains to having the right mentality towards training maximizing your physical potential and athletics in general.

Why is it that in general, the nicer the bike, the slower the rider, you are clueless. This is what separates actual athletes from people like you.

Marginal gains come from cable routing and skewer placement. These are very real, very tangible gains.

What's an actual athlete?

I'm a Cat 1...not sure if that would qualify...

misterq

by misterq

skewer placement?

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Rubik wrote:
wheelbuilder wrote:

I'm going to agree with you here. Skin tight jerseys, fast tires, good body position and aero helmet, will without a doubt gain some watts/speed. I was disagreeing with the notion of trying to buy stuff to take the place of fitness and putting in the work. You may not have been advocating this. I'm with Tobin on this though. Training, training, and more training, preferably with a large "no wait" group that is focused on performance and high average speed will get you strong.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

Rubik wrote:
waltthizzney wrote:

Marginal gains come from cable routing and skewer placement. These are very real, very tangible gains.

Yep, we got it. Noted the very modest signature making this point all the more clear.

Rubik

by Rubik

misterq wrote:skewer placement?

:mrgreen:

I mean, I've seen guys with skewers pointed straight up and straight down... drag is drag!

Rubik

by Rubik

MarkTwain wrote:
Rubik wrote:
waltthizzney wrote:

Yep, we got it. Noted the very modest signature making this point all the more clear.

Are you sure? Which point was made clear?

The point that physics are real and that equipment matters? Or the point that waltthizney's go-to response to someone that doesn't agree with him is to employ fallacies and insults, even when the person he's responding to is a more experienced and accomplished racer than he is?

Please elaborate, because it genuinely seems like you didn't get the point at all.

P.S. And welcome back! Noticed you haven't posted in almost two months, since your last failed trolling attempt. Always good to have a fan. Even ones that still haven't quite figured it all out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com