Building leg mass

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

canoas

by canoas

I'm trying a help fellow club member to make his legs bigger/stronger and perhaps be a better climber or sprinter. He asked me why are mine are muscly! I said because in the early 90's we would grind up mountains and hills with a 39/23 on steel, cause that's what most rode! And maybe this built my legs or maybe it's because I played lots of competitive tennis when I was young and they were easily developed. I have no idea.........probably genetic!

Does anyone have any exercises to help him?

I looked up a few on google...

lunges
leg press
calf press

any other suggestions, that would help me mate....cheers guys

Marin

by Marin

He should work on his endurance/power - more mass just will slow him down

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

canoas

by canoas

Marin wrote:He should work on his endurance/power - more mass just will slow him down

you mean something like a Zone 4 HR for 90 minutes on fairly even road surface that king of thing? I did think of that.

Marin

by Marin

I'd rather have him do short (20s) hard intervals, and threshold work.

I don't believe riding at low intensity is good for anything except recovery, but I know there are other opinions.

canoas

by canoas

Marin wrote:I'd rather have him do short (20s) hard intervals, and threshold work.

I don't believe riding at low intensity is good for anything except recovery, but I know there are other opinions.

ok, well I find training intervals suit individuality as well, depending what type of rider you are or want to be. I always mix it up, but hard intervals @20s with threshold work will build intensity and build fast twitching fibres....later if your not too old!!! There are a lot of options, I believe he has a training programme already. I think he was more of asking why are my legs small and not defined as yours, I guess it's genetic makeup.

kode54

by kode54

keep it in the big ring!
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

AJS914

by AJS914

Leg mass is genetic. He should just work on the aspects of his cycling he wants to improve.

Studies show that weight room work can help power output so if he can add weights to his training, it's worth a try.

joec

by joec

fixed gear hill repeats.

Ghost234

by Ghost234

canoas wrote:I'm trying a help fellow club member to make his legs bigger/stronger and perhaps be a better climber or sprinter. He asked me why are mine are muscly! I said because in the early 90's we would grind up mountains and hills with a 39/23 on steel, cause that's what most rode! And maybe this built my legs or maybe it's because I played lots of competitive tennis when I was young and they were easily developed. I have no idea.........probably genetic!

lunges
leg press
calf press

I changed my training up big time this winter focusing more on the gym than on the bike training. I went from 5-6 winter rides per week down to 2-4 and hit the gym 5-6 times per week focusing on strength (I did not only do legs). I started the season weaker than I had been, but now I am absolutely flying. On the very few long climbs in my area I am a bit slower (added weight), but on anything up to 5 minutes I am significantly stronger and on 2-3 minute climbs I am absolutely wrecking people now. I added nearly 3 inches to my thigh circumference. Overall I feel I am a better rider than I was a year ago as I now can seemingly drop people at will on shorter climbs.

I changed up my routine but I always included some form of squats and deadlifts. These are some Machines tire you out, but don't translate well to "real life" strength. They should always be considered the last part of your workout. Don't bother with calfs. These are most of the exercises I did, so pick one from the top 2, and include a few of the other exercises.

Back/front squats
Conventional/sumo deadlifts
Dumbell/Barbell walking lunges
Bulgarian split squats
Romanian deadlifts
Hack Squats
Leg press

How muscular your legs look is mostly genetics and BF%. You can increase your leg muscle size, but if you are at a higher BF%, your legs will just look "big".

canoas

by canoas

Ghost234 wrote:
canoas wrote:I'm trying a help fellow club member to make his legs bigger/stronger and perhaps be a better climber or sprinter. He asked me why are mine are muscly! I said because in the early 90's we would grind up mountains and hills with a 39/23 on steel, cause that's what most rode! And maybe this built my legs or maybe it's because I played lots of competitive tennis when I was young and they were easily developed. I have no idea.........probably genetic!

lunges
leg press
calf press

I changed my training up big time this winter focusing more on the gym than on the bike training. I went from 5-6 winter rides per week down to 2-4 and hit the gym 5-6 times per week focusing on strength (I did not only do legs). I started the season weaker than I had been, but now I am absolutely flying. On the very few long climbs in my area I am a bit slower (added weight), but on anything up to 5 minutes I am significantly stronger and on 2-3 minute climbs I am absolutely wrecking people now. I added nearly 3 inches to my thigh circumference. Overall I feel I am a better rider than I was a year ago as I now can seemingly drop people at will on shorter climbs.

I changed up my routine but I always included some form of squats and deadlifts. These are some Machines tire you out, but don't translate well to "real life" strength. They should always be considered the last part of your workout. Don't bother with calfs. These are most of the exercises I did, so pick one from the top 2, and include a few of the other exercises.

Back/front squats
Bulgarian split squats
Romanian deadlifts
Hack Squats
Leg press

How muscular your legs look is mostly genetics and BF%. You can increase your leg muscle size, but if you are at a higher BF%, your legs will just look "big".

Thanks Ghost1234...that's a interesting evaluation and glad building strength has helped you, that's very positive feedback.
My fellow cyclist has started with a 4kg medicine ball at the gym with an instructor yesterday, he mentioned a lot of exercises like squats, dead lifts that can be achieved with a medicine ball, will be interesting to see how he progresses, weights were included as well. I'm sure there is always a positive side to any strength exercise for cycling it's just a matter of finding a suitable programme for what you want to achieve.

canoas

by canoas

Ghost234 wrote:

lunges
leg press
calf press

Back/front squats
Bulgarian split squats
Romanian deadlifts
Hack Squats
Leg press

Noted......will pass on

Back/front squats
Bulgarian split squats
Romanian deadlifts
Hack Squats
Leg press

JBeauBikes2

by JBeauBikes2

canoas wrote:
Ghost234 wrote:

lunges
leg press
calf press

Back/front squats
Bulgarian split squats
Romanian deadlifts
Hack Squats
Leg press

Noted......will pass on

Back/front squats
Bulgarian split squats
Romanian deadlifts
Hack Squats
Leg press

Does he want to be more muscular for aesthetic reasons or to be a better cyclist?

If he wants bigger muscles, he should work in an 8-12 rep range to get the best hypertrophy (muscle growth). If he wants strength and power on the bike, he should focus his weight training in the lower end of the 1-8 reps range. 8-10 rep ranges are geared towards strength but he'll see some hypertrophy too.

Thenuge

by Thenuge

Need to train like a bodybuilder if you want mass. Squats, leg extensions, leg curls, etc. sets in the 10 rep range. Also need to be in a calorie surplus and make sure hitting protein minimums.

Tazzy

by Tazzy

deadlift

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Robcrx

by Robcrx

Deadlift as above but get a coach to show you how to lift correctly. The last thing you want is time off the bike due to injury