Building leg mass

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ghost234

by Ghost234

Rubik wrote:
Ghost234 wrote:It doesn't change the fact that studies have shown that there are muscular and skeletal benefits to weight training. That means it has benefits to all efforts. Which was my first point, but you focused solely on my track comment.

No, the track comment was an afterthought. I addressed your initial point, which is flawed. It's an aerobic sport. Over and over. Strength is not going to be your limiter.

Your aerobic abilities are.

And you do know that there is more than just the kilo for track racing? If you race on the track, you are not just purely sprinting and there have been several track racers that have become incredibly successful road racers - very few are sprinters for that matter. for example, you need an incredible engine if you want to be successful at the individual or team pursuit. In fact, one of my friends won bronze at the world championships for individual pursuit and the year after that won a national road title. There is significant translation between the two disciplines. I know for a fact that weight training was part of the training regiment.

But back to my original point. Look at Nino Schurter or Peter Sagan, they do work in the gym. Nino makes videos of his gym routines. They are not neglecting their normal riding, but adding it in addition to their riding and it is paying huge dividends to them both. Unless you are trying to maximize your ability over big climbs, weight training can help you as an athlete and for your overall health.

Rubik

by Rubik

Paying huge dividends?

Now you're just getting into a lot of hypebole and outright speculation. Not to mention the fallacy of comparing a professional athlete to someone trying to maximize their training on top of a career and family obligations.

In any case weight lifting is not what gets Sagan up climbs in Flanders, or in breaks, or even to the front of a race in order to sprint. And it's not what's going to get anyone on this board to the front of a race in the closing meters. Just the nature of the sport.

Do whatever you want in the weight room for overall health, but don't pretend it's going to make you faster than getting out on the bike and working on what needs to be worked on. It's disingenuous and outright wrong.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boysa

by boysa

Rubik wrote:Do whatever you want in the weight room for overall health, but don't pretend it's going to make you faster than getting out on the bike and working on what needs to be worked on. It's disingenuous and outright wrong.

^This. There is no substitute for the miles. Not in this sport.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

AJS914

by AJS914

I thought that current science is telling us that weight training can make us faster?

But sure, if you are riding 8 hours a week, you probably don't want to trade 4 hours a week in the gym for 4 hours that could have been on the road.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

Rubik wrote: Do whatever you want in the weight room for overall health, but don't pretend it's going to make you faster than getting out on the bike and working on what needs to be worked on. It's disingenuous and outright wrong.

This not meant in a contentious tone .. yet how do you know this for certain? "Marginal gains" thing... when that's the only route left. Is not overall increased fitness a benefit? Does not the weight lifting challenge the body's systems in another manner.. and it not good for fitness?

I do understand I think your bias vs weight lifting.. aka 'body wrecking' I call it. The world of the 'arnold type' clowns.. full of juice and often barely able to walk correctly. A small world.. can not the life on the bike be same?
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

Rubik

by Rubik

WinterRider wrote:
Rubik wrote: Do whatever you want in the weight room for overall health, but don't pretend it's going to make you faster than getting out on the bike and working on what needs to be worked on. It's disingenuous and outright wrong.

This not meant in a contentious tone .. yet how do you know this for certain? "Marginal gains" thing... when that's the only route left. Is not overall increased fitness a benefit? Does not the weight lifting challenge the body's systems in another manner.. and it not good for fitness?

Specificity in regards to both the general and specific demands of the sport.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Being an ex world powerlifting champion, I can say that the rotor skills from deadlifts and primarily squats, has paid dividends to my explosiveness and power on a road bike.

Nothing special, just put in the work at the gym and on the bike. Your friend shouldn't be too concerned with the size of his legs, more what they can put out.

I used to have 28" quads and couldn't put down any more than 1.300w. Now they're down to 26" and I can hold 1,300w for 20" seconds and peak around 1,700w. Still not amazing, but I'm improving which is all that matters.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Rubik

by Rubik

Tazzy

by Tazzy

Robcrx wrote:Deadlift as above but get a coach to show you how to lift correctly. The last thing you want is time off the bike due to injury

Exactly! It can be bad on the back if not done correctly. My personal preference is sumo deadlift but without the mixed grip.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

The deadlift is one of the exercises I never do. Does require as noted correct form.. IMO perfect form and the risk is not worth the possible injury...for me. I've no back issues and want to keep it that way .. deads hard on wrists too. Kudos to those who can pull it off. :thumbup:

So.. I do seated leg presses... on our machine it's horizontal. 20 reps 5x works cardio, leg group, lower back and more.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.