How much base ? When to start structured training?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

AJS914

by AJS914

Last fall I thought I'd be flying by June but a back injury and a massive snowy winter conspired against me. As a result of the back injury I only road 600 miles in 2016. We also had the mother of all winters this year with snow on the ground from November to February. I rode the trainer on/off but the back injury was still nagging so I wasn't doing intense workouts.

I figured out my back issues and am now 100% pain free. Thank god!

I started riding on the road in mid-March. I figure I was almost starting from zero fitness so my only goal was to just get on the bike almost every day even if it was just 15 miles at first. I also got a smart trainer so I did a 20 minute FTP test mid March and I was at 195.

I've done about 700 miles now and am feeling much more fit. I did a 2.5 hour ride yesterday, felt great, the pace was good, and broke 16 PRs without trying - almost every one on this loop. I'm doing about 80-100 miles per week right now. As endurance improves I'll probably get to 150-200 miles per week by the end of the summer/fall. I project finishing the year with maybe 2500 miles under my belt.

Questions: Should I start devising some training plan? Doing structured intervals? Or, just keep riding and extending the base?

Goal: Just to be as fit as I can be. I want to start doing group rides and be able to hang and not get dropped. Maybe do a gran fondo or organized ride. The year after, try a master's race if the back holds up and everything is going as planned.

Background: age 50. Started serious road riding in my teens. Raced a little as a junior and then 7 years (cat 3) while working full time in my 20s. I've been riding on and off since my racing days.

JBeauBikes2

by JBeauBikes2

Unless you live somewhere you can ride in the winter, I would keep doing base rides. If you use a heart rate monitor, you can monitor your rides and keep doing base until your heart rate starts to drop and plateaus for the same avg speed. Once your HR drops and plateaus you've achieved that base.

Most people I know do their intervals at the end of winter and continue through the year if they got a good base. Don't put too much thought into it, look for some drop in your HR on those easy rides and then you can do some quality interval training.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

I kind of decided to just ride and not get too serious with structured training this year. I probably only have 4 months of riding this year until it snows. I do throw in some intensity here and there during rides. I'm not just cruising around in zone 1. I do a lot of zone2/3. If I only have time to ride for an hour I like to get my heart rate up. When i ride the trainer, I'll do a series of 1 minute intervals around FTP - like 1 minute on, 2 minutes off. If I do it 10 times, it makes a trainer ride go by much faster.

This winter I'm thinking of moving into Zwift to make the trainer more tolerable. I'll also going to join a gym and do weights. I also picked up some cross country skis and will do a lot of skiing if we get a ton of snow again. I should have a pretty good base and fitness by next spring when I get back on the road.