Anyone ever make the Team Sky rice cakes?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

53x12

by 53x12

I have been contemplating trying to my hand at the Team Sky rice cake recipe. Cheaper than buying Cliff bars and other energy foods and healthier too as I can specifically pick what to put in and leave out.

For those that have made it, is the recipe as easy as it seems? Basically just put rice + sugar + some spices in a rice cooker. After done cooking let it rest for a little bit before using. Then add coconut oil and cream cheese. Mix it all together than lay it out flat on a baking tray and then cover it with plastic food wrap. Then into the fridge overnight to cool and set. Seems easy enough.

Any recommendations on twists on the recipe that have seemed to work well?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lynet

by Lynet

I put pistacchios in mine. Works a charm and adds a bit of crunch and bite.

Remember to get the greaseproof-backed tinfoil to wrap them in. Makes your life easier.

53x12

by 53x12

Have you tried messing around with the recipe at all to use brown rice or quinoa in it? Or just stuck with white rice?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Fixie82

by Fixie82

I've just used white rice as the Arborio rice gives it a nice gooey consistency. I've also added pistachios and other nuts in, would probably be good with dried fruit as well. Next batch I want to experiment with a little chocolate.

AJS914

by AJS914

FWIW, GCN did a video on making oatmeal/nut based energy bars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMJEIiWV3VQ

53x12

by 53x12

Is the cream cheese really needed for the recipe to work? I'm not a huge cream cheese fan and I would assume it is added to give extra calories and protein to the cakes. Is there a chemical reason for needing it?

Fixie82

by Fixie82

The cream cheese binds it all together and gives it the 'cake' consistency. You might be able to get away without it if you substituted something else. Otherwise the rice would fall apart after cooling - think sushi rolls after they dry out.

blaugrana

by blaugrana

The recipe works and the cakes turn out really nice, and easy to eat (and digest) on the bike. However, instead of laying them on a baking tray, just pour the rice inside a plastic bag, shape it into a rectangle, and leave it in the fridge for a few hours. After that, just slice the bag open and cut it into individual cakes. This is much cleaner and easier, and in fact I think it is how the team Sky cooks actually do it.

The only problem compared to other energy bar recipes is that these only last for a few days in the fridge, so unless you plan on riding a lot in just a few days, you will need to make very small batches. I tried freezing them and they came out dry and with a really bad texture, pretty much inedible.

kode54

by kode54

i've used brown sushi rice...which is gooey and sticky like the white variant. better for you and sticks together. like @Lynet says, use the greaseproof tin foil. makes life easier and less messy.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

jo.k

by jo.k

I have made these many times. I always put the individually wrapped cakes in the freezer and just grab a few before I head out. They will thaw nicely in a jersey pocket and I don't find them inedible.

They taste really good if made with chocolate cream cheese with some sea salt and toasted pistachios.

Rush

by Rush

Rice cakes don't keep well in your pocket after a few hours. Great if your domestique hands you fresh ones from the team car, not so good if you are on a long solo ride.

Pick up Feed Zone Portables and you'll have loads of other options. I make Apple and Peach turnovers (with pastry from scratch) and Sausage and Potato cakes. The whole family loves them, whatever is left over from my weekend ride the kids get to put in their school lunchboxes.

OutOfBreath

by OutOfBreath

It's been my go to food on the bike for some time. Not a fan of cheese at oll but spreading cheese cream doesn't taste like cheese at all and it blends nicely with the rice and chocolate.

I make them, put the preparation on shallow trays and put them in the freezer until they are hard but not totally frozen. Then I cut them in squares that fit my jersey pockets and let them freeze completely before separating each square.

After each ride I pick some depending on the lenth of it and wrap them with plastic film, not ideal as it can get a bit tricky to unwrap while on the bike but have never been able to get the nice foil parchment paper the pros use.

When done well the consistency is quite nice, not to, soft, not to hard, not to sticky, not to dry or moist but some times i've managed to not do it right and they can be a bit tougher to unwrap as they get too soft and sticky.

It's also cheap as it's mostly rice and a litle goes a long way.

Ghost234

by Ghost234

I made them once, but my recipe was different than yours. Mine had brown sugar, bacon and some scrambled egg in them. It tasted AMAZING. I didn't make a second batch because I would have gained too much weight from 'snacks'.

jo.k

by jo.k

That sounds a lot like the rice cakes from "The Feed Zone". I think they had parmesan as well, really amazing stuff, but they didn't keep their shape as well if I remember correct.

edit: This recipe:

http://running.competitor.com/2012/10/n ... akes_60437

patchsurfer

by patchsurfer

I made the Allan Lim ones, seasoning them only with my tears as I realized how completely revolting they were. I'd rather eat my shoes.

My on-bike food is home-made flapjacks or chocolate creamed rice - I put it in a little plastic bag, then you can bite the corner off and suck it out like a gel. Puts the opposition off a treat when they catch a glance at you doing it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com