Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:09 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:17 pm 

So, winter plan nearly over (first time I've done a plan) and looking forward to upping my outdoor miles as the weather is starting to get better (well still feels like 0 to 5 degree C this week but whatever).

Thing is, I still have a long way to go with my fitness and am still motivated to improve so not actually sure how this works. If I'm just out a lot riding hard and mimicking the rest periods from the training plan, would I still get fitter, generally?

Do you guys find you get fitter over the spring/summer period due to upping your miles, or should you still follow some sort of structure (i.e. do specific interval, FTP, VO2 work)?

Not a problem for me if I need to keep being specific - I enjoy a workout ride as much as bombing around. As long as I'm on the bike I'm happy :P

Still, not sure how to go about it. I don't want to come out of summer finding I just increased my endurance and everything else is pants :shock:

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:17 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:52 am 

It depends on your goals. If you are going out and "riding hard," you probably won't lose much fitness, but it sounds like you'll lack the specificity to make significant gains. If you just want to have fun riding, maybe that is fine.

A good plan is structured to hit different energy systems on different days and to provide sufficient recovery to allow your body to compensate.

For any number of reasons (discipline, lack of free time) I prefer to be following a plan.