Riding or not when having cold/flue/fever?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

3Pio
Posts: 829
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:13 pm

by 3Pio

This weekend i rode 123 km in Saturday, and 40 Km yeasterday (total climb 2500 meters). And made mistake in choice of clothing for Saturday ride based on some weather forecast on the net. So very strong and cold wind all ride, and i did not have proper clothes for that. Anyway after yesterday ride i feel like a small fever which i ignore it, today went with my city bike to finish some works i had, and now im with 38 deg temperature.


So how u do in this kind of condition? Staying in bed and take some rest, or going for easy ride (proper clothing definitely :) )

If u stay in bad, when do u start ur riding again?

JackRussellRacing
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:32 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

by JackRussellRacing

Unless you're getting paid to ride your bike and stand on a podium, I'd let your body recover --- it's trying to tell you something.

by Weenie


mhoffman
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:45 pm

by mhoffman

A few days of R&R will do much more for your fitness and training than trying to fight through a ride while sick

3Pio
Posts: 829
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:13 pm

by 3Pio

Thanks for replies.

Seem that was wise idea to take a rest yesterday (today feeling much better, temperature is about 37.2).

Specially that im planing long ride this weekend, seem that i'll stay in bed today as well

User avatar
byron505
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:15 pm
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

by byron505

3Pio wrote:This weekend i rode 123 km in Saturday, and 40 Km yeasterday (total climb 2500 meters). And made mistake in choice of clothing for Saturday ride based on some weather forecast on the net. So very strong and cold wind all ride, and i did not have proper clothes for that. Anyway after yesterday ride i feel like a small fever which i ignore it, today went with my city bike to finish some works i had, and now im with 38 deg temperature.


So how u do in this kind of condition? Staying in bed and take some rest, or going for easy ride (proper clothing definitely :) )

If u stay in bad, when do u start ur riding again?


some general wisdom from a couple pros/coaches shared to me - if its above the chest, go ride lightly. use it as a recovery day - will help get your blood oxygenated and aid recovery from the cold.

if its below the neck, stay home. dont stress the lungs.

as for when to get back on, well this is from a really sick period, but whenever you wake up and feel good to ride - wait one more day.
2017 | Cannondale Evo2 eTap with 90's Cannondale Track paint | 60cm | ??kg
2017 | Cannondale Evo2 eTap | 60cm | 6.7kg
2016 | Valence Road+ Ti 1x11 Disc | 58cm | 8.35kg
Instagram: @byron505

3Pio
Posts: 829
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:13 pm

by 3Pio

byron505 wrote:
3Pio wrote:This weekend i rode 123 km in Saturday, and 40 Km yeasterday (total climb 2500 meters). And made mistake in choice of clothing for Saturday ride based on some weather forecast on the net. So very strong and cold wind all ride, and i did not have proper clothes for that. Anyway after yesterday ride i feel like a small fever which i ignore it, today went with my city bike to finish some works i had, and now im with 38 deg temperature.


So how u do in this kind of condition? Staying in bed and take some rest, or going for easy ride (proper clothing definitely :) )

If u stay in bad, when do u start ur riding again?


some general wisdom from a couple pros/coaches shared to me - if its above the chest, go ride lightly. use it as a recovery day - will help get your blood oxygenated and aid recovery from the cold.

if its below the neck, stay home. dont stress the lungs.

as for when to get back on, well this is from a really sick period, but whenever you wake up and feel good to ride - wait one more day.


Learned that hard way. I start feeling well, went for a ride immediatly then 38C temperatura again. And i was sick for 10 days :(

Finally last week started to ride and tomorrow first 180 km after that break

perwjensen
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:09 am

by perwjensen

3Pio wrote:This weekend i rode 123 km in Saturday, and 40 Km yeasterday (total climb 2500 meters). And made mistake in choice of clothing for Saturday ride based on some weather forecast on the net. So very strong and cold wind all ride, and i did not have proper clothes for that. Anyway after yesterday ride i feel like a small fever which i ignore it, today went with my city bike to finish some works i had, and now im with 38 deg temperature.


So how u do in this kind of condition? Staying in bed and take some rest, or going for easy ride (proper clothing definitely :) )

If u stay in bad, when do u start ur riding again?



You risk damaging your heart, if training hard when having cold/flue/fever. Don't do it, and don't get back to training until the illness is gone, gone, gone. Starting when not fully recovered risks repeat suffering.

vejnemojnen
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:11 pm

by vejnemojnen

had a viral myocarditis few years back when I thought I'm an invincible young man :mrgreen: had to wear 1 size greater shoes for 6 months afterwards..- :D

mattr
Posts: 3412
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 6:43 pm
Location: The Grim North.

by mattr

Ach, thats not so bad. Big shoes i can live with.......

Guy i know carried on through a mild cold, ended up on the heart transplant list.

euka
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:35 pm

by euka

My friend used to skip rest and even sometimes raced while having fever. He died at age 36 while training. He just had a heart attack and died in the ambulance.

User avatar
PSM
Posts: 1570
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:45 pm
Location: Stockholm, The Arctic...

by PSM

euka wrote:My friend used to skip rest and even sometimes raced while having fever. He died at age 36 while training. He just had a heart attack and died in the ambulance.


:oops :cry:

dmp
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 8:31 pm
Location: Denver

by dmp

While viral myocarditis and cardiomyopathy is a real entity, and can lead to heart failure, dysrhythmias and even the need for transplantation, the progression from a run of the mill viral illness to myocarditis is not determined by exercise during a cold. It has to do with the pathogenesis of the infection and the host response.

WR74
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:19 pm

by WR74

A few years ago I made the stupid mistake and dosed myself with meds to get me through a 4 day cycle tour. Easy riding but 160-180km per day. Almost ended up in hospital the next week and ended up on bed rest for more than a week. I no longer take those chances, I'd rather take a few days off the bike now and get better than do more harm.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

User avatar
TonyM
Posts: 1707
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:11 pm

by TonyM

10 years ago as I was 40 y.o. I trained although I had a cold (that was what I was thinking...)....and I almost died! :shock:
It turned out that I had a virus that slowly came to my heart as I was training again and again.
A luck for me that I went to the hospital one day as their diagnostic was a acute heart attack which should occur in the next minutes (!!!!!!). :shock: :shock: :shock: injections, ambulance to the next big hospital (7 min during the doctor told me I would "may" survive), surgery room etc... and it was not a heart attack but a myocarditis. I have been VERY lucky to survive (the next day of training would have been my last day of my life they told me! :smartass: ) and I have not any heart arrhythmia (many of them die in the next 5-7 years I was told). BUT I should not go in the red zone anymore the doctors told me. However they also told me top continue to do sport! So I continue to bike around 10-15k per year and actually enjoy it more than before ("survivor effect"). My old days of racing (I was a very good Cat 1. in France many years ago) are over anyway and I try not to go in the red zone anymore (I try...)

Key learning: if you are tired etc..check if it is really a cold or a virus. If it is a virus, you really should not train anymore and you definitely have to rest. Or start to think about your next life.....

3Pio
Posts: 829
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:13 pm

by 3Pio

TonyM wrote:10 years ago as I was 40 y.o. I trained although I had a cold (that was what I was thinking...)....and I almost died! :shock:
It turned out that I had a virus that slowly came to my heart as I was training again and again.
A luck for me that I went to the hospital one day as their diagnostic was a acute heart attack which should occur in the next minutes (!!!!!!). :shock: :shock: :shock: injections, ambulance to the next big hospital (7 min during the doctor told me I would "may" survive), surgery room etc... and it was not a heart attack but a myocarditis. I have been VERY lucky to survive (the next day of training would have been my last day of my life they told me! :smartass: ) and I have not any heart arrhythmia (many of them die in the next 5-7 years I was told). BUT I should not go in the red zone anymore the doctors told me. However they also told me top continue to do sport! So I continue to bike around 10-15k per year and actually enjoy it more than before ("survivor effect"). My old days of racing (I was a very good Cat 1. in France many years ago) are over anyway and I try not to go in the red zone anymore (I try...)

Key learning: if you are tired etc..check if it is really a cold or a virus. If it is a virus, you really should not train anymore and you definitely have to rest. Or start to think about your next life.....


When i was younger (like 20-25), have ride many times with some cold which i understund it was stupid idea... When i posted this thread, in same time i have read about same question.. Good idea that i decided then to just rest and ride after im healthy again.. And glad that i post it this thread, since im sure that many other ignore the cold and flu and ride with that condition.... :)

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post