Training with a power meter - noob question

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

I agree. 3s average is what I have on screen as 'power now'. And I also have Lap Power for training. That should be enough to hit your target numbers for intervals.

For a TT, you might want to have 3s, total average (for ride), and something like 30s (or lap average with auto-lap set for 1-2 mins).
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

byron505

by byron505

jeroenDG wrote:I finally started training with a powermeter but it turned out to be far from easy.

My main problem is staying within the power zones prescribed by my training program. It is incredibly hard to keep my effort constant (I am talking about 30-40W variations). Only when training on my rollers I am able to keep the variations within 5-10W but there it is relatively easy since I just need to keep my cadence more or less steady . So... how do other people do this? Is it something I learn with time?

its a little hard to get used to at first, just make sure you have your screen displaying a rolling 3 second avg wattage (i usually have a 3 second and 30 second rolling avg displayed at all times). Immediate power really is pointless because it will just jump all over teh place all the time.
FS 2018 | Cannondale Evo2 eTap with 90's Cannondale Track paint | 60cm | ??kg
2017 | Cannondale Evo2 eTap | 60cm | 6.7kg
Instagram: @byron505

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

How do you like having the 2 power values on the screen at once? Do you also run lap/interval average?

byron505

by byron505

glam2deaf wrote:How do you like having the 2 power values on the screen at once? Do you also run lap/interval average?

i love the 2. 3 second rolling average is great for 'immediate' data, but 30 second rolling gives you an idea of how you're pacing yourself. i usually use the combination of those two numbers to gauge where i will be at if anything were to make me increase my effort.

as for run lap/interval avg, nah. if you have your 30 second avg in check, your interval will be fine**

**I WILL run a 'max last lap' or an 'avg/NP last lap' temporarily if im doing sprints or want to see how hard a race ride/group ride was.
FS 2018 | Cannondale Evo2 eTap with 90's Cannondale Track paint | 60cm | ??kg
2017 | Cannondale Evo2 eTap | 60cm | 6.7kg
Instagram: @byron505

Jepas

by Jepas

Usually only 3s average on my main screen paired with the NP of the whole ride when outside. On the trainer lap avg and 3s avg are my best bet.