Trainer control in erg mode

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kytyree

by kytyree

Please, give me your thoughts on controlling my Wahoo Kickr in erg mode, looking for the app or maybe cycling computer that best suits what I want:

-Primarily (almost exclusively) used in erg mode
-be nice to be able to program simple interval workouts, ie not have to adjust wattage for each interval/rest
-iphone app or I could use a new bike computer and if it worked for that as well, I'd consider
-beyond these my priorities are user interface during my "ride", cost, and I don't want to have to invest 30 minutes of my time in setting up a 30 minute workout

-not that interested in videos, courses, competing online etc

I'm aware of a few solutions but haven't tried any of them and thought I'd cut through the guess work a bit and see what everyone else likes.

It sounds like some of the apps with video support etc may do the things I want as well, which is fine, only I wouldn't be using all of the functionality.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Willem

by Willem

I use Virtual Training and Zwift.

For performance improvement I also ride mostly (90%) in erg mode with intervals set at programmed power and time values, which VT manages automatically with a smart trainer. The reason being, if you set say an interval for 5 minutes at 350 watts, it forces you to complete the interval no matter how much it hurts. You can interfere, and override the programmed settings, but that is a bit of an ego breaker. If I cannot achieve the needed programmed outputs on a certain day, I abort as I know there is too much fatigue and recovery is what I need.

I do recovery rides on Zwift, as it is a cool platform. That is not very often though, as you can program a nice recovery session in ergo mode on VT also, which prevents you from putting down the the power and jump out of recovery mode. Try the demo for free on either of these platforms, I believe you can do workouts on Zwift as well with programmed intervals, although I have not tried it.

kytyree

by kytyree

Thanks, I'll look those over. There are so many things compatible with it I wanted to hear what was working for riders out there.

Erg mode control or programming workouts in erg mode is primarily what I think I'll use the trainer for.

PMC

by PMC

Take a look at PerfPro and try the 14 day (or however long it is) free trial.
I've been using it with a Computrainer and now Kickr and have built all my own ERG workouts.
It's pretty simple and doesn't take a ton of time to set up. Everything I've built is based on FTP so the workout percentages never change, just the FTP you have set in your profile.

kytyree

by kytyree

PMC wrote:Take a look at PerfPro and try the 14 day (or however long it is) free trial.
I've been using it with a Computrainer and now Kickr and have built all my own ERG workouts.
It's pretty simple and doesn't take a ton of time to set up. Everything I've built is based on FTP so the workout percentages never change, just the FTP you have set in your profile.

I hadn't thought about that but not having to tweek every workout if you wanted to bump things up a couple of watts would be nice.

Then again I'll probably smash into my personal ceiling in a week!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

slick1

by slick1

I use trainerroad with my arvo and have The Sufferfest videos which are supported and have workouts created by Trainerroad. Ouch. Every single time once u get your FTP right.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk