Oddball request: Indoor cycling shoes? Spin class shoes?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kkibbler

by kkibbler

My SO's bike mounted on a KICKR is basically a fixture in my apartment because 1) she doesn't take it out nearly enough and 2) it's actually kinda nice to just have it there and either of us can hop on and spin whenever we feel like it. I built it up with these alloy platform pedals that are great with regular sneakers outdoors but I'm struggling to find shoes to use on them indoors. I'm looking for...

-indoor use only, don't want to track dirt everywhere
-stiff sole? nice to have but not a priority, something like a rock climbing shoe with a stiff, flat rubber sole?
-something that fits like a normal cycling shoe
-doesn't scuff-up the floor

Do these shoes exist or should I just buy a pair of cheap Converse and keep them next to the bike?

Googling "spin class shoes" and "indoor cycling shoes" just returns a bunch of MTB shoes drilled for SPD.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

You wouldn't want to use my wifes spin shoes as MTB shoes, the upper is the softest fabric i've ever seen on a cycling shoe. And the sole has about as much tread as a pair of slippers.

Might be worth going to an actual shop and seeing what they actually feel like, rather than going by what they look like on the internet.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Wow, I seriously didn't realize they are actually 2 different products. Mea culpa. Do they work without having a cleat installed, or would they slide around all over the place?

EDIT: I know nuts about track cycling but maybe I should look for old school track shoes meant for toe straps? Let's have a look.

mattr

by mattr

They are very smooth soled rubber shoes, with cleat recess, you could probably use them with out cleats.

I'll try and find out the model number, as i'm pretty sure they had mens and womens versions.

edit:-

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/users ... -izumi.jpg

I think, not seen them since last time she went to a spin class (2012 probably)

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Thanks mattr. Now I have an idea what to look for.

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

Spin bike use the SPD standard for cleats , so most dedicated "spin" shoes are 2 hole. I have a pair of Sidi spin shoes that were purchased at least 5 yrs ago but I have not seen them anywhere since. In my experience it is best to use the same shoes and pedal system as your most used bike. A couple hours on a trainer will reveal about any flaw in your fit.

DaReef

by DaReef

I have a pair of single boa road shoes that now see trainer only duty. Very easy to get on/off.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

With an RT4/5 shoe?
Using Tapatalk