test results and training zones

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

benzebub

by benzebub

Hello guys,

I recently did a lactate treshold test and I am wondering how I should interpret the results.

I reach my anaerobic treshold around 300 watts, 165 bpm. lactate level is at 4.5 mmol.
I did an ftp test (coggan test protocol) a month before this test and my ftp level was at 323 watts.

The lactate test also showed me I have a high tolerance for lactic acid, I maxed out at 18.8mmol. Could this have an influence the FTP test result?

which result should I use for setting my training zones? Is the FTP test less acurate because I have a rather high tolerance for lactic acid?
But I could be wrong

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

acoggan

by acoggan

benzebub wrote:Hello guys,

I recently did a lactate treshold test and I am wondering how I should interpret the results.

I reach my anaerobic treshold around 300 watts, 165 bpm. lactate level is at 4.5 mmol.
I did an ftp test (coggan test protocol) a month before this test and my ftp level was at 323 watts.

The lactate test also showed me I have a high tolerance for lactic acid, I maxed out at 18.8mmol. Could this have an influence the FTP test result?

which result should I use for setting my training zones? Is the FTP test less acurate because I have a rather high tolerance for lactic acid?

In order, the answers to your questions are:

1. Yes.

2. If you're using my classic training levels, use the data from Hunter's FTP test. If you're using WKO4, the iLevels that are calculated automatically would probably be a better choice, since they should do a better job of reflecting your apparent abilities above FTP. Only use the results of the physiological testing with levels/zones designed to be based upon them.

3. It is actually the results of your lactate testing that are less accurate (the best predictor of performance is performance itself).

P.S.: It is lactate, not lactic acid.

benzebub

by benzebub

thanks for the insight, very useful!

sorry about the spelling mistake (and the confusion about the test protocol. The test I used is based on the one in 'training with power', which is a great book btw!) , English is not my native language.
But I could be wrong