Garmin 520 w/Power2Max and Kickr

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tokyodrift69

by tokyodrift69

For the sake of consistency and my sanity, does anyone know if there is a way to make sure my garmin is pulling power data from my power2max instead of my kickr? I recently updated my 520 and my kickr and connected the two via the indoor trainer feature so I could control resistance via my garmin instead of my phone. I don't really like the accuracy of the kickr (version 1) and want to know that I'm getting the same reading inside that I am when I'm inside using my Power2Max for both readings. I'm worried that when I connect the two sensors (alongside my heart rate) that my garmin is getting the power data from my kickr. Anyway to make sure this isn't happening while still keeping resistance changing functionality? Any help is appreciated.
Trek Emonda ALR (Etap, Ksyrium SLs, Zipp Service Course SL Finishing Kit)
Cervelo P2 (Sram Red 22, Force P2M, H3 Front, Zipp 900 Rear, Parts bin Cockpit)
Focus Mares Disc 2016 (Force 1x, Zipp 303)
Trek Top Fuel 8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mr4fox

by mr4fox

Is there a "Sensors" option in the 520? On my 1000 I can open sensors and select power. Then it shows the name of the power meter it's connected to. I've renamed mine from the standard 123456 to Stype, vectors, powertap etc so I know.

My old 500 doesn't have this option which is crazy annoying when I have two power meters mounted and can't tell it which to connect to, or if I'm not sure which "name" (123456) corresponds to which power meter. Plus it beeps at me a thousand times for like the first 15 min or something telling me there is too many power meters detected. But it's ancient so I should t complain to much. It's still more reliable than any other Edge I've had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tokyodrift69

by tokyodrift69

mr4fox wrote:Is there a "Sensors" option in the 520? On my 1000 I can open sensors and select power. Then it shows the name of the power meter it's connected to. I've renamed mine from the standard 123456 to Stype, vectors, powertap etc so I know.

No such option as far as I've looked, which is quite frustrating.
Trek Emonda ALR (Etap, Ksyrium SLs, Zipp Service Course SL Finishing Kit)
Cervelo P2 (Sram Red 22, Force P2M, H3 Front, Zipp 900 Rear, Parts bin Cockpit)
Focus Mares Disc 2016 (Force 1x, Zipp 303)
Trek Top Fuel 8

mr4fox

by mr4fox

I can never understand why such a simple thing like an option in a menu doesn't just get adddd to every device if it makes the divine better and it costs nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jekyll man

by jekyll man

pair your garmin with your p2m away from your kickr, and call your bike/ sensor something obvious.
Garmin shouldnt connect with anything thats not remembered.
If it picks up your kickr, then it should ask you if you want to connect..

Its easy enough on a 500 and an 820, so for a 520 the process must be inbetween :)
Official cafe stop tester

boysa

by boysa

It will not connect with any device you don't pair it with. Plus, you can turn on/off each device individually. I alternate between two hr monitors, but only have the one I'm using active on the 520. Same with my p2m and my kickr. I just have the kickr set to "off."

I don't have it in front of me, but it's there. You just need to find the screen.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Delorre

by Delorre

Question is, if you turn de kickr "off", will you still able to control the kicker with the garmin 520?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boysa

by boysa

Ahhh, I'd say probably not. I have a gen 1 Kickr, and my "solution" to the issue of drift has always been to use the power from my power meter (both a Quarq and a P2M) as my reference. As my workout progresses, and I see any drift, I simply adjust via the app on my phone. I only use it in Erg mode, and this has always been effective. I don't care what power the Kickr "thinks" it's set at, I only care what my pm is reading on my Garmin. Make sense?

FWIW, I tried the Kickr set to run off the powermeter, but I found it to be choppy and erratic. Much smoother and more consistent with my method. I understand, however, for folks using some of the trainer programs this might not work. I'm a bit more old school: turn the lights down, crank the music, set the wattage, suffer.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny