Supplements

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

alastairb

by alastairb

What do you use and why?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

pdiomidis

by pdiomidis

To be honest, i would like to ask people who used creatine how does it work and affect on workouts. Haven't used it.

Used many supplements on past but most for recovery.
Last edited by pdiomidis on Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alastairb

by alastairb

Ok; fair point. Racing Cat 4. FTP 4.2 watts/kg. Thinking another beta alanine and carnosine to help buffering lactate. Possibly iron supplements to bolster immunity. Wondered what works for others? Possibly nitrates also.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

balanced diet based on the Mediterranean diet. works wonders. sardines, sockeye, kale, brussel sprouts, rapini, beets, avocados, blueberries, walnuts yogurt, whole grains. shhhh

**left out legumes and mushrooms(shiitake in particular)
Last edited by fromtrektocolnago on Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

pdiomidis wrote:To be honest, i would like to ask people who used creatine how does it work and affect on workouts. Haven't used it.

i used creatine during my weight lifting day. quite effective, not really a product with cardio implications. it increases the atp content of cells. body makes creatine too, you can consume it by eating beef or fish like wild salmon.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

pdiomidis

by pdiomidis

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
pdiomidis wrote:To be honest, i would like to ask people who used creatine how does it work and affect on workouts. Haven't used it.

i used creatine during my weight lifting day. quite effective, not really a product with cardio implications. it increases the atp content of cells. body makes creatine too, you can consume it by eating beef or fish like wild salmon.

I was thinking that will boost the strength on the bike, not really affecting anything on cardio i knew that.

For weights yea would definately help, even for people that goes only to gym. But should i use it like only on winter training on weights on gym or would help if you just cycle?

alastairb

by alastairb

I find creatine reduces (quite significantly) soreness after training. Been using Maxi Nutrition Cyclone. Feel better in the following session also

alastairb

by alastairb

fromtrektocolnago wrote:balanced diet based on the Mediterranean diet. works wonders. sardines, sockeye, kale, brussel sprouts, rapini, beets, avocados, blueberries, walnuts yogurt, whole grains. shhhh

Probably the better option....a few of the above are on my diet but the kale, brussels sprouts and beets are missing.

eyedrop

by eyedrop

I'm afraid no supplements out there will make a noticeable enough performance difference to justify the expense. They can help if you have some kind of deficiency. For example, my body does not absorb vit D very well, so I supplement.

If you want something that truly works well, your gonna have to get on some illegal substances....

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

pdiomidis wrote:I was thinking that will boost the strength on the bike, not really affecting anything on cardio i knew that.

For weights yea would definately help, even for people that goes only to gym. But should i use it like only on winter training on weights on gym or would help if you just cycle?

Creatine might help repeated 10sec type sprint efforts on the bike, particularly in a track racing environment, but would be useless for long FTP efforts, as you point out. As to if you would want to come off of it for the riding season, it may partially depend on if you experience a substantial weight gain from creatine, and if you do a lot of climbing. Lots of people will put on a couple kg from water retention, would certainly wouldn't help on big climbs, but if you were a sprinter riding flat crits then it might be fine to carry the extra weight.

I have wondered if the water retention could actually be beneficial in certain circumstances like hot weather, similar to using glycerol to hyper-hydrate prior to an event: http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/sports- ... rated-988#

Creatine may alter the Respiratory Exchange Ratio (RER) of the body, subtly shifting it toward glucose oxidation and away from lipid oxidation. This could be detrimental in long events where you run the risk of glucose depletion, or if on a weight loss program where you are looking to maximize fat loss: http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2013/03 ... ecent.html

If you want to try a supplement with more applicability to typical cycling efforts, you should try Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda/NaHCO3) as an acid buffer. It can cause GI "distress" but to reduce that risk you can serially "load" it in small doses in a manner similar to creatine, rather than taking a single bolus dose prior to an event.

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

Multivitamin pill
Omega 3 pills
Vitamin D during the winter period

Other than that, just the usual balanced diet with plenty of lean meat, vegetables, grains etc.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

perwjensen

by perwjensen

alastairb wrote:What do you use and why?

For a normal healthy person there should be no need for supplements. Consume a varied diet, add perhaps vitamin D in periods of limited sun exposure.

KWalker

by KWalker

Multivitamin
Extra Vit D based on blood work
Fish Oil
Tumeric (not sure if it's doing much)
Beta Alanine

Creatine has nothing to do with muscle soreness and shouldn't influence. Not sure of it's utility in endurance sports.

For me Beta is mainly to benefit rock climbing, not cycling, although I do feel that before shorter sprint workouts it can have an affect albeit slight.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

stoney

by stoney

multivitamin (because my diet is crap), vitamin D (because I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder in the winter), Beta Alanine, and creatine.

I've notice the creatine helps me with my power when performing multiple sprints...like in a CX race. In CX, you sprint out of every turn if you hope to be competitive. The creatine will put some weight on you though so if you want to climb mountains (long climbs) it may not be the best thing for you.

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

Nothing. Cooking fresh is not just sufficient, it's also a lot of fun and tastes better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com