What would you add to the training plan

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

Masters (50 years old) mainly CX but doing some MTB racing this season (no more than an hour to hour-and-a-half) My base plan contains the normal stuff but I feel I can do more.

This CX season I felt I just faded a bit at the end of the race but felt good on VO2 Max workouts, and repeat sprinting. My technical skills are average especially in really tight'n'twisty stuff, but is good in muddy tight but open bends. I do sometimes have back issues. I have dumbbells at home so do a 2/3 times a week routine within the limitations of my home set up. I generally do two longish rides a week (3hours or so) and don't feel the need to extend these or do any more when my racing is 40 to 90mins.

So, got some more time to train, I am thinking of-

1) An extra bike workout doing 2 x 20 mins sweetspot or tempo in an 1.5 hour ride

2) Doing an hour and a half but purely a skills workout (getting my cx re mounts top notch, bunny hoping, trail work)

3) Going to the GYM properly and getting my overall condition better with particular attention to my core. Maybe get back to doing some circuit training.

4) none of the above.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

I've been doing #3. I think it hurts the quality of my above FTP work on the trainer but benefits my overall health. Decided to do this after listening to the Velonews podcasts on the subject.

However, for your specific weakness I might be sure that my long rides included stretches of sweetspot intervals. This makes it hard to do with a group, but I find that most truly accomplished racers train alone, as its very hard to both do your program and ride at a group dynamic. Yes, one group ride or so a week is good to force you to go when you don't necessarily feel like it, but focused training works better solo.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

glepore wrote:I've been doing #3. I think it hurts the quality of my above FTP work on the trainer but benefits my overall health. Decided to do this after listening to the Velonews podcasts on the subject.

However, for your specific weakness I might be sure that my long rides included stretches of sweetspot intervals. This makes it hard to do with a group, but I find that most truly accomplished racers train alone, as its very hard to both do your program and ride at a group dynamic. Yes, one group ride or so a week is good to force you to go when you don't necessarily feel like it, but focused training works better solo.

Ok, so maybe a three hours ride with two distinct 20 min sweet spot sessions. I do wonder about increasing my milage overall. I have done 6-7K miles a year for as long as I can remember and my results, give and take, are about the same or maybe getting slightly better (following a plan for a few years and having a power meter for the last two years has made my training more scientific) I do wonder if I was to do 10 or 12K miles a year that would be the boost to my results that I am seeking.

simoncx

by simoncx

A lot of times back issues come from core problems, either weak abs or back muscles sometimes one being stronger then the other can also cause issues. Personally for core workouts I prefer yoga and balance ball work because it works more then one muscle group.

If it's possible mid summer about 8-10 weeks before the cross season try to find a road group ride that goes 1-1.5 hrs but is very hard so when you finish your pretty much at your limit, this simulate something like motorpacing. Once a week is enough but it has to be done right, it has to be all out and not skipping pulls or sitting on the back because you want to win the sprint. This kind of ride will really help your speed work and fading late in the race, it also works you a lot more then riding hard alone.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Map out some rides that go over multiple mid to long climbs, getting in about 2500m of climbing for each ride. Map it so you don't get long between climbs (a few kms max). Make a plan to do at least one of these per week, and stick to it. Distance is not that important, as the climbing is what you will be using for training. You can do this in less than 100km for sure, given the right location. Start banging these out and you will get a lot stronger, and be able to hold high power for ages. Power Meter target your way up each climb, to keep the power on. Getting a strong climber to chase you up the climb is also good.