Trainer tire (solid tire?)

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mvcap

by mvcap

The tires I ride are not cheap, so I'm reluctant to put my good bike on my fluid trainer and wear out the rear tire too fast. Do most people have a solid tire / spare wheel specifically for this purpose?

Seems obvious but I haven't seen much out there along these lines. Any insight would be appreciated for brands, prices, where to buy, etc. Is there a cheaper alternative, such as a rear wheel and inexpensive road tire?

Thanks!
Last edited by mvcap on Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

I have a spare set of wheels with a trainer tyre on the back. (They aren't solid, just really hard compound) and some crappy tyre on the front for roller use.

The whole set up cost me about 100 quid. Added a "no good for racing" cassette that I took off some race wheels.

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

I use a worn out Schwalbe Ultremo on the rear, mounted to a spare wheel for my trainer. The softer compound means virtually no slipping when sprinting, or standing. I have an Elite trainer that has fluid resistance, and a "trainer" tire has no grip at all on it.

When I'm on my rollers, i just use my regular wheels, and pray I don't slide off the side!!

AJS914

by AJS914

They do sell trainer tires. Personally, I've never notice the trainer wearing out my tires enough to swap for the winter.

mattr

by mattr

My wife has polished a tyre to the point of zero grip. 3 and 4 hour sessions do that to a tyre. Even on a properly tensioned set up. It was like polished glass. First wet roundabout and she was down.

When I was still racing, I could get tyres to start ejecting powdered/molten rubber during intervals........

That's open tubular/cotton casing type stuff, not your hard vulcanised poly thread casing type tyres.

AJS914

by AJS914

How do you stay on a trainer for 3-4 hours???

I may swap out my rear tire because it looks like I'll be off the road bike for a few months now - snow, ice, 5F degrees today...

mattr

by mattr

AJS914 wrote:How do you stay on a trainer for 3-4 hours???
Absolutely no idea. Longest i've ever done is only about an hour.

glepore

by glepore

Trainer tire if you are doing big grade/high resistance stuff . Otherwise, the slippage never ends. Conti hometrainer here w/ my computrainer.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

dmp

by dmp

Definitely get a trainer tire. Besides the slippage problem and ruining a good road tire, you will get all this black rubber dust crap on the floor, which is really hard to clean up. Be warned, however, that the Conti trainer tire is almost impossible to mount. It's the only time I've ever had to go to a bike shop to mount a tire. I bought a cheap old wheel so I wouldn't have to deal with it often.

mvcap

by mvcap

Great ideas, thank you all for the tips! How/where would I find a cheap rear wheel if I go that route...LBS? Curious what I would expect to pay with a cassette?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

AJS914

by AJS914

What trainer tires do people recommend?

dmp

by dmp

mvcap wrote:Great ideas, thank you all for the tips! How/where would I find a cheap rear wheel if I go that route...LBS? Curious what I would expect to pay with a cassette?

I found one on eBay for about $40 (an old Campy Sirocco), and got a cassette on sale from one of the U.K. websites for about the same.

mattr

by mattr

I got some 105 wheels from one of the mail order warehouses. Discontinued model with a reputation for buckling as soon as you look at them.

Think the wheels were 55 quid a pair.

mvcap

by mvcap

Thx dmp and mattr!

Sleepless

by Sleepless

mvcap wrote:Great ideas, thank you all for the tips! How/where would I find a cheap rear wheel if I go that route...LBS? Curious what I would expect to pay with a cassette?

I'm using Shimano RS-10 rear (around USD60 online) with used Michelin Pro 4 tires. I had a bunch of them laying around and wanted to give a shot last year. On my second Pro4 this year. No slipping, minimal tire debris around.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com