Anyone has experienced pneumothorax with asthma?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

asc8ic

by asc8ic

I have had twice of pneumothorax surgery almost 13 years ago.
When I got second surgery, took off right side lower lung. It is almost 20% of both lungs.
So, I still cannot have it. It is not gonna recovered ever.

When i breathe fast or too deep while climbing, pain started from tail edge of lung. and it is not easily gone.
The pain, That i have never experienced before, even while local anesthesia surgery.
Doctor said the pain from scar of lung, and It is alright even so painful.
So, usually I ride flat or carmelback shape road. only a little category climb.

I'm sad about cannot to ride freely.

However, If anyone has like this case, and who had breakthrough from it.
Please tell me. How to get over it.

kode54

by kode54

a friend had a similar issue. has problems breathing when climbing...similar to your issue where the pain is intense.
doctor gave him a puffer for asthma...that seems to help early on in the ride...but i suppose it wears off during long rides? because he has a few issues getting home.

sorry, but i don't have a remedy for this...just what he's told me about the albuterol that he takes for it. for him...its been a few years...maybe going on two so far.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drchull

by drchull

depends what they did. Often after recurrent pneumothorax they will put a sclerosing agent in to remove the potential space between the lung and the chest wall. This removes the potential for a space for air to move into and so removes the chance for pneumothorax. If this is the case and I assume you have had some follow up with respirologist and or thoracic surgeon and appropriate imaging than your doctors reasoning may be correct. I would add though that if it is mechanical you should be able to reproduce the pain with simple deep breathing exercises. If putting out similar efforts in the flats you don't get pain I would think it is more positional though.

I would also have concerns regarding cardiac status depending on age and other factors.

I am an asthmatic and certainly get some pain in the chest when spending far too much time in the red zone, which certainly would include most climbs with all those damn skinny bike racing elfs. Never attributed it to my asthma, just to the usual suffering of the sport that I love.

asc8ic

by asc8ic

kode54 wrote:a friend had a similar issue. has problems breathing when climbing...similar to your issue where the pain is intense.
doctor gave him a puffer for asthma...that seems to help early on in the ride...but i suppose it wears off during long rides? because he has a few issues getting home.

sorry, but i don't have a remedy for this...just what he's told me about the albuterol that he takes for it. for him...its been a few years...maybe going on two so far.

I'm using symbicort turbuhaler with some pills. Maybe your friend using same as mine. It's kind of only relaxant for asthma safely.
I need any clue for reduce this pain. So, Thank you for told me.

asc8ic

by asc8ic

drchull wrote:depends what they did. Often after recurrent pneumothorax they will put a sclerosing agent in to remove the potential space between the lung and the chest wall. This removes the potential for a space for air to move into and so removes the chance for pneumothorax. If this is the case and I assume you have had some follow up with respirologist and or thoracic surgeon and appropriate imaging than your doctors reasoning may be correct. I would add though that if it is mechanical you should be able to reproduce the pain with simple deep breathing exercises. If putting out similar efforts in the flats you don't get pain I would think it is more positional though.

I would also have concerns regarding cardiac status depending on age and other factors.

I am an asthmatic and certainly get some pain in the chest when spending far too much time in the red zone, which certainly would include most climbs with all those damn skinny bike racing elfs. Never attributed it to my asthma, just to the usual suffering of the sport that I love.

My case is exactly coincide with your said. My first surgery was for autotherapy, just made a hole and put pipe into my chest. but pneumothorax a relapse, then the doctors had treated exactly as you said. after healed from pneumothorax, asthma was came.
I agree about damn skinny bike racing elfs. lol. They just torture as mentally at the climb.
In anyway, I might be adapting this pain myself. I'm gonna try to like suffer as you, even it's to hard to patient.

Thanks for your advise.

Kalpna4152

by Kalpna4152

Sinusitis is the condition that emerges out of the swelling of the delicate tissues, which line the internal parts of the sinus holes, an arrangement of holes in the skull which play out an assortment of capacities. When this tissue arranging swells, be it because of the impacts of an allergen, a pathogen or even a toxin, it precludes any outpouring of bodily fluid, confining it inside the influenced sinus pit. This absence of waste causes the amassing of bodily fluid which is regularly discharged to saturate the nasal entries, encouraging the procedure of inward breath, in the sinus pit. This in itself causes an assortment of manifestations experienced by individuals experiencing sinusitis. There is an impressive weight felt while moving the head after an episode of sinusitis sets in.
Thanks& regards,
Kalpna singh
Ear Surgeon Lucknow| ENT surgeon lucknow | ENT Lucknow

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com