Nutrition topic

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kode54

by kode54

i've cut sugar down. on rides under 25 miles, just carry water and a Picky Bar which i usually don't eat on a short ride...but just in case i bonk if i go too hard. a banana before i leave the house.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

KWalker

by KWalker

Vegan is not optimal unless you account for the low amount of aminos and a few other things it can, in some cases, lack depending on food availability.

For me personally I have found that a primarily plant based diet with some eggs, soft cheeses, and occasional fish seems to be the best for energy, digestion, and well-being on and off the bike. I definitely am not vegetarian nor vegan clearly, but I have found that I do not need to prioritize meat as much if I get some leucine and amino acid rich proteins in to supplement the rest of my diet.

Almost all diets now share some basic cornerstones: aim for as many vegetables as feasible, scale up nutrition as hunger and activity increases, the less processed the better, and avoid confining yourself to limits, zones, or anything that might impede optimal activity.

This might not lead to the lowest weight and bodyfat, but it will likely lead to the easiest-to-maintain health and performance.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Ulver wrote:
dvincere wrote:Vegan high carb low fat is the optimum training and racing fuel. Clean, easy digesting, lots of energy. Save the fats for when you go below race weight and need to get back up there.

I'd be interested in reading up on this, eg meal suggestions, snacks etc. Any recommendations?

I don't know who dvincere would suggest you read but, since he didn't chime back in, you should really check out the website of WeightWeenies contributor and raw vegan nutrition guru DurianRider. His website is http://www.30bananasaday.com/ Even if you don't decide to go that diet route, it is worth checking out his stuff, in particular his Youtube vids, both because he is an avid cyclist as well as just for the pure entertainment value. That balls on that guy are unbelievable!

P.S. I don't think that diet is necessarily optimal either, and am personally more in the direction of Kwalker nutritionally speaking. It does seem like there is some individual variation in results though, so give it a shot and see how you feel.

raffit78

by raffit78

How about a breakdown of your daily meals?

6:00 am: oatmeal, coffee
9:00 am: chicken breast, rice,salad (fist size portions)
12:00 wheat bread sandwich (turkey all veggies included)
2:00 pm banana, if I go for a ride oatmeal
5:00-6:00 salad

Currently 72kg
5 foot 10

Suggestions? Should I be getting lighter? Will I produce more power with a different nutrition plan?

Currently in my 1st year of cycling and at 220 ftp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willem

by Willem

Generally not to concerned about what I eat, just keep the range broad and avoid the bad stuff. Lots of fruit during breakfast. To lose weight, or keep in check, I use an Iphone App when the discipline becomes necessary and count calories in and out. Works pretty accurately every time.

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

[quote="KWalker"Vegan is not optimal unless you account for the low amount of aminos and a few other things it can, in some cases, lack depending on food availability.

For me personally I have found that a primarily plant based diet with some eggs, soft cheeses, and occasional fish seems to be the best for energy, digestion, and well-being on and off the bike. I definitely am not vegetarian nor vegan clearly, but I have found that I do not need to prioritize meat as much if I get some leucine and amino acid rich proteins in to supplement the rest of my diet.

Almost all diets now share some basic cornerstones: aim for as many vegetables as feasible, scale up nutrition as hunger and activity increases, the less processed the better, and avoid confining yourself to limits, zones, or anything that might impede optimal activity.

This might not lead to the lowest weight and bodyfat, but it will likely lead to the easiest-to-maintain health and performance.[/quote]

that is nonsense....

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/105/25/e197.long

KWalker

by KWalker

It's not about complete amino chains, but about the amount of certain aminos within that chain, like I said. Leucine and Isoleucine often being far lower than in many non-plant products. As drivers of anabolism, the amount per calorie is often not as high from vegan sources alone. I've found it, for me, to not be a hindrance if I can consume some lacto or ovo sources and since I have no ethical concerns with that nor do I believe a completely vegan diet is superior, it's good enough for my desires.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike