Help me choose my next trainer under $800

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

roca rule

by roca rule

So I've been eying a smart trainer for a while and I'm leaving for either the tacx flux or the genius smart. One is a direct drive and the other a classic, the price can overlap sometimes, but the genius is usually cheaper. On paper I'm torn on one hand I the genius is able to replicate a 20% incline vs 10% for the neo plus I believe the genius has a steering simulator unit ( I don't know if it is sold separately). The flux on the other hand is a direct drive which is touted as better (no tire slip) but it's limited to 10% inclines. What else would you guys recommend in these price bracket and below?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Incline is an over rated point of measurement. Watts = watts when pedaling, total resistance and reliability are more important. Direct drive every time for me, more stable and repeatable results, quiter and no tyre slip.
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

I wanted a Smart trainer but I just didn't want to spend big bucks on something I'd ride at my the most 50 or 60 times this winter.

I found a Tacx Vortex Smart for $330 shipped. So far, I'm really happy with the price/performance.

Clean39T

by Clean39T

Nefarious86 wrote:Incline is an over rated point of measurement. Watts = watts when pedaling, total resistance and reliability are more important. Direct drive every time for me, more stable and repeatable results, quiter and no tyre slip.

Second this. I'm putting more time in on my trainer now and getting better workouts than I ever thought possible - all due to buying a Kickr on sale and hooking up TrainerRoad. It was worth the extra bucks for me.. If you can get a Flux I'm sure you'd have a similar experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roca rule

by roca rule

Everything is pointing me to the flux. Are there any other options as far as direct drive trainers in the same price range that are smart?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

If the Flux is more budget friendly than a Neo/Kickr then get on it. Get a casette and a Trainer road subscription with a nice big fan (essential) then suffer away :)
Using Tapatalk

ms6073

by ms6073

Whie the Flux is mechanically similar to the Wahoo Kickr, from reading DCR's recent review, the Flux is a price leader that none of the competitors can touch. Having progressively migrated over the past 20 years from the original Tacx Fortius, then wireless Bushido, and now the Neo, I would offer that direct drive is a msignificant improvement with far less headaches compared to the rear wheel friction trainers.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

roca rule

by roca rule

This is making me contemplate going for the genius instead.
https://youtu.be/xi9Hbfrh2Wc

centhar

by centhar

ms6073 wrote:Whie the Flux is mechanically similar to the Wahoo Kickr, from reading DCR's recent review, the Flux is a price leader that none of the competitors can touch. Having progressively migrated over the past 20 years from the original Tacx Fortius, then wireless Bushido, and now the Neo, I would offer that direct drive is a msignificant improvement with far less headaches compared to the rear wheel friction trainers.

Less headaches maybe in regards to tires wearing and slipping, but direct drives have more parts to wear out. :smartass:

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

About 2 years beating on my kickr, taking it everywhere, running or off batteries, lending it to mates etc, have tensioned the belt once.... Fear of maintenance is probably the least logical reasoning to not buy a direct drive unit...
Using Tapatalk

centhar

by centhar

Maybe for you, but it would be for me. For $1200, I better be. I like to plan ahead for things unforeseen. Kickrs can eat belts if adjusting the tension too much and Wahoo will gladly overcharge 4 times the cost for the $20 belt. They don't last forever. There's at least 5 sets of bearings in the thing and if I was going to have a it around for 5-10yrs or so, I would have spares or a source readily available.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

So don't be a naff when adjusting the tension, buy the $20 belts and stock up some bearings. Simples.
Using Tapatalk

roca rule

by roca rule

I think I'm going to pony up for the difference and get the drivo

roca rule

by roca rule

Ok here is the breakdown
I would be going over my budget with the drivo
I would get from a German store for $1000 including shipping
The flux would be about $790 bought locally well an online store with brick and mortar locations.
Elite
Higher accuracy ( not that important as I have a power meter quark and srm)
24% incline simulation over kill but nice

Flux
Cheaper and more readily available
Only 10% simulation which is a bummer I would have loved something like 15%
Reliability might be less reliable
( on the other hand whatever warranty claim I have I can always return it locally.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I'd say forget about the gradient simulation factor, its the total watts the Unit can hold that matters, if it can't produce enough load at the 10% grade setting using the 53-11 then there is something wrong. All that 10% means is that you will use a bigger gear to simulate the load of a 15% hill. Personally I've never used the incline function. It's either Erg workout or level mode for tooling about.
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com