Rollers training / number of bikes

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mike001100

by mike001100

Hiya,

first post... to the point:

I bought my first road bike (Giant Propel) a year ago and have been bitten by the road bug ever since... Have done 2 500 km this year, never did anything much sports-wise before, so I consider that quite good, being it me...

Friends come along in the summer, crazy about gravel riding - so I decide to build a gravel bike to ride with them (Specialized Crux on Zipp 303s, Ultegra, etc.)...

Winter comes along, and I realize I have no bike to ride in the winter, because I don't want to damage the Propel, or the Crux (from road salt), so I bought a Giant TCX.

However, for some reason, the geometry on the TCX is just uncomfortable for me, I much, much prefer the Crux (or the Propel OFC). At the current moment, the setup is:

- Propel - not ridden
- Crux on 303s - ridden on rollers
- TCX - ridden outside, in the slush, etc.

Yesterday I was at the bike shop, they have a TCR on sale, which got me thinking, maybe I could swap the TCX for the TCR...

Then before I went to bed I thought - wait a moment, maybe I could just buy a wheelset for the Crux (I'm not one much for gravel riding), ride that outside, and have two nice bikes for the road, which I enjoy much more anyway...

And then I thought - why don't I just ride the Propel on the rollers? The reason I haven't done so till now was because I was scared of falling off and damaging the bike... but I guess bikes are built to handle falling off rollers?

So, opinions and input please?

Should I trade the TCX for a TCR and have 3 bikes?
Or should I sell the TCX, buy a wheelset for the Crux, ride that outside and ride the Propel on rollers?

Thanks.

duvivr6

by duvivr6

Random question but here goes IMO:

Crux is a cross bike meant to be ridden outside in mud, water and nasty weather. Ride the Crux, get rid of the TCX and live on!

When the sun comes out take the Propel out!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GambadiLegno

by GambadiLegno

I'll do the same. Having a Crux you have everything, you can change wheels and ride it. Also you can only have the Crux for everything, there's no reason for having a different bike for rollers. In my case, I only have one bike, and I use it on the road and rollers.

So, if I were you I would sell Propel and TCX :lol:

fa63

by fa63

mike001100 wrote:...but I guess bikes are built to handle falling off rollers?

I don't think this is a design criteria for bikes :D If you are worried, buy a cheap beater bike just to ride on the rollers.

I would sell the TCX, and buy a new wheelset for the Crux.

mike001100

by mike001100

Thanks for the input, on Friday I'll probably be picking up a second hand set of Mavic Aksiums for the Crux for winter training...

I thought of having "one bike only", but the Propel is so fast and so much fun :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

My Crux is my gravel/winter bike. I'm loving it. I'm running 40mm Clement MSO X'Plor tires.