Core/Stretching motivation and routines

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Finding that I have no real motivation to strech and do core despite knowing it would probably help with my comfort and strength on the bike. Just wondering what people do to remain motivated to foam roll/stretch and work on core strength?

What resources/routines would you recommend?

Using Tapatalk

Lynet

by Lynet

I was recommended these five drills from the coach at my club. Try to do them two times a week. And combine it with various strength routines (calf raises, goblet squat, barbell squat, leg press, front dumbell lunges, box steps/jumps and so on)

https://cyclingtips.com/2015/07/top-5-c ... -cyclists/

BUT: If knowing it helps you get more comfortable and strong on bike is not enought to motivate you, then why even try?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

It's only human nature to do as little as possible (or not at all), but getting an injury that could probably have been prevented by doing some regular stretching is good motivation to have a routine.

Doesn't have to be lots but concentrate on things such as hamstring / glute and quad stretches.

I find it quite therapeutic as well :)
Official cafe stop tester

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

Yes I find it difficult as well although I feel that it has helped on the bike. Go to classes maybe? Then vary the classes after you get a bit bored with one. I have done circuits, swimming, body pump, yoga and pilates. All have been fun for a while but none have been longer lasting than a year or two. I just accept I get a bit bored with this sort of stuff and move onto something different.

Rick

by Rick

I have started into my routine of winter weight training, and that gives me a lot of motivation to stretch and use massage-rollers/balls because I AM SORE AND TIGHT AS HELL! I have been feeling like I got run over by a dump truck for about a month now.
So, under advice from a physical therapist, I got some neck and back stretch exercises and started rubbing the knots out of my back/neck by pressing a racquet ball against a wall and wiggling around. I also got a foam roller and roll that on my lower back and quads. I wasn't doing that during the cycling season, but I suspect it will help, now that I have the gizmos.
The exercises are pretty basic, so you can probably just google a few of them. They main thing is that the motivation comes because I really am sore, and they really do seem to help!

liam7020

by liam7020

Here's some motivation for you mate. I've paid lip service to core work for years to the point where I've ended up with a herniated L2/L3 disc and severe sciatica with the result that I've been off the bike 7 weeks and it will probably be as long again before I'm able to undertake even light training. You might get away with it. Then again...
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Lynet wrote:I was recommended these five drills from the coach at my club. Try to do them two times a week. And combine it with various strength routines (calf raises, goblet squat, barbell squat, leg press, front dumbell lunges, box steps/jumps and so on)

https://cyclingtips.com/2015/07/top-5-c ... -cyclists/

BUT: If knowing it helps you get more comfortable and strong on bike is not enought to motivate you, then why even try?

Thanks for the link.

I worded my opening post poorly, I do what I need to keep the pain under wraps but know that more would be beneficial and would like to build up a routine that I can stick too. If I have a routine to follow I usually do ok at keeping with it.

I should have asked more what routines people use to work on core etc, use it as a thread to build up and share resources/tips.
Using Tapatalk

peroni

by peroni

I've read in many places that if you have limited time/will, the best core exercise is to hold a plank for a max of 2 minutes once or twice a day.
Works for me.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 2014 Campagnolo SR

by 11.4

Stretching is something that is getting a lot of critical attention these days. It doesn't do as much as people once thought, and certainly decreases your performance if you do it prior to an event or workout. I'd suggest you try some extensive rolling and decide if that works for you -- get a foam roller and roll your legs, hips, back, and so on. There are basic EVA blue ones, rollers with all kinds of knobs and shapes to them (see roguefitness.com or Amazon for some examples), and even some cool ones that collapse and fit almost anywhere so you keep it with you even on a plane flight. For some people they may not be the right solution, but you might try it out and see if you get improvement.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

liam7020 wrote:Here's some motivation for you mate. I've paid lip service to core work for years to the point where I've ended up with a herniated L2/L3 disc and severe sciatica with the result that I've been off the bike 7 weeks and it will probably be as long again before I'm able to undertake even light training. You might get away with it. Then again...

My sciatica lasted a good 6 to 8 months! I really hope you can get back to it in 7 weeks.

I love yoga, both the physical and meditative aspect of it. I love going to classes with a good teacher but I've never been able to implement a home practice. I'm not sure what the secret is to having the discipline to do it every day. I have no problem with motivation when it comes to going out and riding my bike.