Power on the Trainer - how can you use it?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mrgray

by mrgray

i have prescribed training exercises from a coach communicated via training peaks. i do these whilst watching youtube videos of old cycling events. i thought zwift was a bit shit. i'm a bit like you. 42, want to be as good as i can be, but i've just started crits and probably find a bit more time for riding. if i didn't have the trainer, i would struggle to do 2,000 miles a year i imagine. i do 80% of my mileage on it.

it has been quite successful in bringing my standard up.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

xrs2 wrote:Trainer Road has to be the best bargain in athletic training period. I am 100% in love, and its quantitative impact on my ability as a cyclist (at least in terms of power output) has been dramatic. Best thing I've ever done for my training.

The only problem is that now I'm worried about losing fitness when I start to train outdoors again!

Do you use it with a trainer in ergo mode ? or just a powermeter ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

xrs2 wrote:Trainer Road has to be the best bargain in athletic training period. I am 100% in love, and its quantitative impact on my ability as a cyclist (at least in terms of power output) has been dramatic. Best thing I've ever done for my training.

Agree with this. If you follow a plan on Trainer Road, it will take you through a structured plan that develops all systems (aerobic, threshold, anaerobic, strength) rather than "just doing 2x20s" as some suggest. They are fine, but you need more variety to fully develop. You also need workout plans structured to allow systems to recover after you stress them.

One of the advantages of a smart trainer (or a dumb trainer and a power meter) is the ability to do relatively accurate ramp tests. Do a ramp test every quarter or so to set your training zones; this way you'll really be hitting Z3 when the plan says Z3. Do some kind of fit test (8 mile TT) every recovery period to assess fitness. This kind of measurement is way easier on a smart trainer than the alternatives.