Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:55 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:30 am 

I've bought an exercise bike on crazysales for years, and use it for training in these periods. However recently I've been told that bike trainer is the right equipment for training. Then I did so research online and sum up with some pros on those equipment respentively:

Bike trainer:
Comfort: as you are riding on your bike on a trainer, you will feel more comfortable and easy in the training. And the trainer can simulate the real situation where you are riding on the road.
Space, mobility: trainer is light, and portable, also smaller than exercise bike

Exercise bike:
Superior workout resistance: the resistance makes you make more efforts in training which would bring more results
Calorie burn: You can expect to burn between 600 and 800 calories an hour on a trainer. With the increased resistance you can burn much more on a spin or exercise bike.

Wrap it up, I think I'd like to train on exercise bike like the old days. Because the resistance can build up my legs muscles and my room won't get "squeezd" with it. Also the panel on the exercise bike record all my training patterns, really helpful to modify my routine in the future.

Then What's your opinion? Are you using a trainer or exercise bike? Or maybe some advice for me?

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:30 am 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:43 am 

Couple of points:

Can you replicate your position on the exercise bike? Most standard gym type exercise bikes I would get no where near my position so it makes it an easy position. If you are discussing a watt bike or similar then go for it, but I don't think the added cost over a trainer would be worth it.

I've never thought my trainer lacked resistance, I actually can not max it out when doing hard sprints so I don't think that would be an issue. It might depend on the trainer you are comparing with though. I also don't buy that extra resistance would bring more results, do squats if you want to build strength.

Can you not simply use your cycle computer to log your data? Doesn't seem much of an advantage to have a computer or panel on the exercise bike.

Increased calorie burn? That would be a function of how hard you are working not the overall resistance the machine is capable of.

Do what works for you of course but there is no one answer for all people. If I lived where I couldn't ride all year I would be on a Wahoo Kikr and racing people online.