Cycling Injury from Golf?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Wormiez

by Wormiez

Curious to see if anyone has encountered any cycling related injuries when transitioning from golf to road bikes.

I ask this because I am an avid golfer who has transitioned over to cycling and have been recently diagnosed with ITB related injuries to just my left knee.

To explain for non golfers here, as a right handed golfer, you tend to put all the weight and pressure on the left outer knee in your follow through.

Has this injury occurred to any other golf to cyclist?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boysa

by boysa

I'm of the belief if your fit is proper on the bike, you shouldn't encounter any pain or injury. Other than crashing, of course. I'm a former golf professional, and frankly all the aches, pains, and injuries I struggled with throughout my golf career are gone now that I spend all my time cycling. The more I ride, the better I feel.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Wormiez

by Wormiez

Thanks, I am hopping it would be just a bike fit.

RyanH

by RyanH

Be very careful when you are experiencing ITB issues. Two days of hard rides on an improper cleat adjustment wrecked my ITB and sidelined me for 3 months early 2015. For me, lowering saddle height and keeping a wide Q-factor on the affected side has kept it from coming up again. If I narrow up my Q-factor, I'll get a twinge of pain that reminds me my knee doesn't like that.

Wormiez

by Wormiez

A quick update, spent this week investigating the injury with my golf coach. Looking at my golf bio-mechanics I don't "snap" my left leg back hard enough to create such tension to cause an injury.

Checked the knee with physio the other day and the injury was from biking and not golf related.

Had a refit with my fitter and we lowered my saddle and changed my cleats/pedals from Look to Time.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I used to play golf 3 to 4 times per week. I developed IT band syndrome on the bike - in both knees! I had surgery on both.

My advice, if you have IT band syndrome and it keeps coming back don't waste your time and money with conservative therapy. Just get the surgery. It's a breeze and has a near 100% success rate.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Wormiez

by Wormiez

Wow ITB on both knees and surgery!

Since the refit and physio I've logged 200KM and have had no pain or soreness in my knees.

Should have done this sooner instead of riding through pain earlier this summer...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com