Why else do you do for training?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

I always do 'something else' to my biking. The last few years has been yoga, but while it is has been beneficial I now feel like a change. I mostly ride CX and MTB. Do a bit of running but avoid too much because of the injuries involved. I'm fifty years old as well

So, three option come to mind.

1) traditional circuit training. I have done these on and off for years and quite enjoy them. Never done the outdoor "British Army" type training so that might be a variation.

2) A weights programs focused towards legs. I have done weights regularly, but am limited to dumbbells, so max weights don't really test out the legs. Worth going to the GYM and doing some 'proper' leg weights.

3) Swimming?. Got some nice pools near me, but lordy it is soooooo boring and I swim ugly. Worth preserving with?

Anything else worth thinking about.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

I love circuit training, and used to do that a lot whenever a class was available with an instructor who would really drive you around the circuit. But I haven't done that in decades, so my circuit training just became "weight training". Just a slower version of going from station to station.

So I also do weight training focusing on legs, with light upper body stuff on a different day.

I have also done a lot of running and swimming. I am terrible at both, but I think it is good to stretch the body out in a different way. In fact,. I think swimming is better for that, but it is hard to get motivated to go swimming in the cold winter time, even in a heated pool. So I haven't done that much.

Depending on your location, cross-country skiing might be a good option.

jpanspac

by jpanspac

I'm 58 years old in two days. IMO at our age it's really important to do something that maintains bone mass in the legs and hips. For me, that means heavy weight lifting and running. I urge you to do one or both.
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

DutchMountains

by DutchMountains

If you are considering a weightlifting program, did you check out stronglifts 5x5?

It was on my short list for core training, with (ashtanga) yoga and pilates. In the end I choose pilates as I was slightly worried about my knees (from past history) and I wanted to increase flexibility besides building core strength. Choosing between yoga and pilates was more of a touchy-feely thing, pilates (or at least the local marketing) comes across as more down to earth.

Been doing pilates for five weeks now (two classes a week) and I like it a lot. Other than being reminded each time how much I neglected my body for the past years that is ;-)

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

Thank you, the 5 x 5 program looks very good. I have done weights on and off for thirty years but only having dumbbells limits the weights I can do, and with no body to 'spot' I need to be a bit careful. Yoga has been great and I will keep doing some with an App program, but just feel like the need to change.

I think some circuits, maybe mixing up outdoor and indoor and a weights program is the way to go.

Ghost234

by Ghost234

I've been getting back into weight lifting. The two years I made huge improvements in my performance were the years that I took a longish break and hit the weights seriously until new years. I'm a very lightweight rider (5'10 65kg), and typically do better on longer efforts, but the weight lifting always seems to do wonders for my sub 5 minute maximal efforts. This year I've been setting records in the gym, so I look forward to seeing the results on the bike in a few months time.

Yveltal

by Yveltal

1 hour on bike trainer, 1 hour for chin-ups and push-ups

willowwonka

by willowwonka

I tend to do one turbo training group session a week and one solo turbo session, then one big ride on a saturday or sunday.

But now the weather is getting even worse here in the UK i swap to the mountain bike trails just to mix it up and go with a group of roadies for a laugh.

Weight lifting wouldnt really interest me as i wouldn't want to be putting weight on or muscle in areas you dont really need for cycling, circuits would be good or anything to improve core strength.
- CANYON KATUSHA TEAM ULTIMATE SLX SUMMER RIG.
- CANNONDALE CAAD10 ANNODISED WINTER SLOG.

Rick

by Rick

jmaccyd wrote:Thank you, the 5 x 5 program looks very good. I have done weights on and off for thirty years but only having dumbbells limits the weights I can do, and with no body to 'spot' I need to be a bit careful.

I bought one of these hex bars so I could do squat/deadlift type exercises safely at home with no spotters. It is working out really well.

http://www.inboxfitness.com/xmark-fitne ... m-3686.htm

You still need to observe good squat technique (straight, neutral spine, don't round-over.)

xena
Banned

by xena

I lift pretty much everyday . If its a day when I'm riding I usually do some legs and 1 upper body part that evening .
I do leg extensions and hammy's and calfs everyday . Not heavy just get a good pump.
Every single day I do 20 reps x 4sets of close grip pull ups and 10/15 resp x 4 sets of wide grip pull ups .
I noticed a great improvement since hitting the legs on a daily.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com