Interval Discussion and Resource Thread

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

RyanH

by RyanH

I know there's the Training Routines thread, but I wanted to create a separate thread to discuss various intervals, their intended purpose and provide a more detailed discussion of the intensity of the efforts. As part of this thread, I think it may be useful to discuss what to do if the prescribed efforts are too easy or too hard.

Microburts
Purpose: Train the body for sporadic hard efforts, e.g. cyclocross or crits
Typical Session: 4 sets of [ 10x (15s@>60% above LT\15s@Z1)] with 5 min rest interval between sets
Description of effort: "On" efforts should be a burst but kept at an intensity that can be performed for all four sets. I believe average power for each set should be around 100% of LT.
Target RPE: ??

Sample efforts:
Set #1

Set #2

Set #3

Set #4

Based on my old training plan, I originally had these down as Z6 for the work interval, but that'd be 360w to 450w. While performing the above, with a target of 400w, RPE was around 6/7. It wasn't until the end of the 3rd set that I began bumping it up to 450w and then the last set I targeted 500w. 500w would be >60% of FTP and that felt like a more appropriate RPE of 8/9.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mentok

by mentok

I'm a sucker for boring old 2x20s and 6x3s. I used to do something very similar to this: 30/30/30: 30 reps of 30s on, 30s off. "on" would be at 500W which is low Z6 for me.

Out of interest, is anyone using XERT (https://www.xertonline.com) either for prescription of or analysis of their intervals? I've been using it since it was in early beta and I've just paid up for premium but I'm still not totally sure how to get the most out of it. Seems like an interesting concept but something that might take a bit more time to understand and benefit from.

boysa

by boysa

I was early to the Xert program, but to be honest I've never devoted a ton of time to it. I'm back and forth right now about whether I want to pay for it or not. I do think they have some interesting ideas, especially regarding planning workouts, but anything with a fee makes me hesitant.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

mentok

by mentok

@boysa, I'm pretty much the same. Decided to give it 1 year and see what happens so I paid up a few days ago and I guess it's on me now to make sure i get some value from it.

There are really interesting ideas there, like this "2x20" sweetspot workout in 30minutes, i just haven't really taken the time to break away from my boring standard diet of 2x20s to see what they can do for me.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Bill Black's Hour of Power

1x60 at 85-90% of FTP with 30 sec surges (115-120% FTP) every 2 or 3 minutes.

Something different to try from 2x20s. Alex Simmons also describes it here: http://alex-cycle.blogspot.ca/2009/02/hop-to-it.html.

boysa

by boysa

Another one I like is 40/20s.

3x 10' (40" ON @ 125-135% FTP/20" OFF @ 55-75%) 4' RBI

mrlobber

by mrlobber

I've done 30s/30s [on/off]x7...10, 2 to 3 sets, the "on" portion @ 150% FTP.
[40s/20s]x10 @ 130% FTP is another of my favourites, but this year, even though my FTP has largely remained unchanged, I struggled to push more than 5 per set.

Ever since I started these 2 seasons ago, I managed to push my FTP up to 3...4% higher compared to time when I didn't do them, but no other major gains observed. OTOH, this year, with another newcomer in my family, sleep quality has certainly come down for me (for obvious reasons), so this might at least partially explain the lack of fitness at the very upper zones compared to previous year.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

RyanH

by RyanH

Thanks everyone, can you add what the perceived effort should be as well as what the interval targets? That'll help people decide what intervals they want to do.

For perceived effort as an example on 4x10', usually rpe starts at 5/6 and ends up at 8/9 for the last one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

boysa

by boysa

Perceived effort? Ha, I try not to think about it. They're intervals, they're hard, they're going to hurt. If they don't, you're doing something wrong.

But in truth, I think PE is good for assessing your form. If you are targeting the wattage, and hit the numbers, you can judge how you are doing by how bad they hurt compared to previous efforts. If you can't hit the targets, or finish the workout, then you know something is off.

Marin

by Marin

Are there any studies about interval training specificity?

I'm under the impression that even very short intervals (measured in seconds) will improve your power over 1h.

claus

by claus

RyanH wrote:their intended purpose

Yes, including/explaining the purpose of the described intervals would be really nice...

RyanH

by RyanH

Yeah, plus not all intervals have to be full gas. I was doing 4x10 minute intervals at I think Z4 during the build period. I think the goal is to workout that power zone without as much stress on the body.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WinterRider

by WinterRider

Intervals .. you have to love them .. I do. Yet time constraints this spring and summer haven't allowed them.

From the perspective of a fitness (me) rider seeking to improve... the basis for intervals to is present the system with a different form of work as the body gets easily accustomed to same ol'. Stressing the heart makes it 'find' more resources via hormones .. metabolic pathways .. increasing it's ability to work/deal with stress. The degree of said 'stress' is the time duration vs 'rest cond' .. note my own parlance :smartass: -- which is simply at what stage of the ride this stress is dosed. I'll ride to my location (winter warm climate res) say a mile to a road safe to run... do 1 minute or so on the heavy hybrid all I can do. Something over 1/3 mi.. make the turn and allow 30-40 seconds of rest starting out .. then hump it back another minute or so. 10 reps .. the rest time often increases to 1 minute. This my 'rested' workout followed by the ride... usually 20 mi or so. My 'stress' workout/s are catching a rider on the trip .. the bike off in the distance ahead... into the wind even better. These are best gains... towards end of trip .. into a wind ideal. The V12 is tired .. making it work now gives it 'bottom'. Watching recovery heart rate is best indicator for me .. evening and morning rates telling too. Not a fan of electronics... can't find any that'll withstand the impact of the road when thrown down when not functioning.. see old cell phone. :mrgreen:

Improvement means added work stress.. in doses that are productive .. at the right times. Goes to diet/nutrition and current 'stress' fitness applied sensibly. Gadgets do not matter.. IMO much more enjoyable to figure it out using my own grey matter .. which does need the work too. :beerchug:

That .. is my story and I'm stick'n to it. :noidea:
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.