is 110 miles doable without any training?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

xena
Banned

by xena

I reckon you could do it . But it depends on your ability to suffer and what sort of body issues will effect you.
You may be lucky go at a steady pace and all OK or most likely IMO you will go into the hurt zone.

Best advice Spin a nice easy gear [ DONT RACE ANYONE YOU WILL BLOW UP] , Keep the carbs and hydration up and you should finish.

Good luck .
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Don't forget about fit issues. Short occasional rides won't do much to you. On an extended ride if something is off, you're body will revolt over that length of time. Hamstrings, quads, etc.
Speedplay is the devil!

victorduraace

by victorduraace

Do some training rides of similiar distance and.you will know

BRM

by BRM

Important is the speed the group will ride.
You will benefit with lower speed. When the pace is a bit too high for you it wil be a problem.
Also hilly conditions are way different than flat and if you can't digest hilly conditions proper it will demolish you.
This all is also not depending only on you, but the willingness of the group to adjust speeds to the weakest persons in the group.

So if there is still time before this event will take place, I advice you start with some training, but dont forget to rest.
Avoid a stressed body and a sore butt on the day you will do this event.

Even better:
Cancel this event, start training and set focus on next event.

BRM

by BRM

McGilli wrote:
I ride over 20,000km every year (12,000 miles). I only take 1 day off per month from riding. I ride practically every day. I swim 4 nights per week. I walk minimum 5,000 steps each day (thanks Garmin ;)

And soon you are burned up . . . .
Its not good having your body in a constant hyperstate.
You need to bring in more rest to recover properly.

dj97223

by dj97223

Please see my signature line below, from "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly." And, believe me, if you go into this with little or no training, you will have mostly the latter.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

boots2000

by boots2000

Are you an experienced rider who is not currently riding?
Or a runner who has done a couple bike rides and think you might want to do this ride?
I wouldn't hesitate if I was the former, I would not suggest it for the latter.

DutchMountains

by DutchMountains

"noadapter" has a history of asking a question, then vanishing. Don't waste your time.

McGilli

by McGilli

RussellS wrote:
McGilli wrote:The next night I went to the local running track. 1km (.6mile). That was my goal. To run (more of a mid jog i guess) for just 1 km. I mean - I walk every day right?!?!? So I must be able to run too!

I did it in 6 minutes! Success! Then my right leg cramped which has never happened in my life and I had to limp home, and my rides for 5 days suffered badly.

1 kilometer in 6 minutes? That is sort of, kind of a fast walk. But not really. Pretty sure you can just walk at a regular pace for six minutes and cover one kilometer. I suspect a spry old geezer with a walker can cover one kilometer in six minutes.

Did I say 6 minutes? Oops I mean 6... Seconds... Hahah but seriously, I did pass this elderly asian lady with a cane so it wasn't all bad.

polaris

by polaris

Possible? Yes.

Pointless? Yes.

Get out on the bike and a least do a few 25 milers. That way you'll know what it feels like to be in the saddle for a couple of hours, eating and drinking on the move.

I'd never ridden more than 100km in a day until this year, then did 100km, 200km and 300km on consecutive days. I had done quite a lot of 100km rides though.
.....but it still has to work!

peted76

by peted76

Lots of salient points here.
I'd have to say 'anything is possible' however 100 miles is a big day out and an achievement for most casual club riders adding another 10miles to that is not to be sniffed at.
You say it's undulating, an organised ride is normally set as a challenge I'm guessing there'd be no less than 9000 feet of climbing.

A 10k run takes less than 1 hour, a 10 mile ride takes less than 30 mins, a 110 mile ride will take 8 hours with a 14 mph avg speed - add in a hour for breaks, stops and food.
So the question you need to ask yourself is can you do sixteen times more riding than you're used to doing?
Or in running terms, could you run the distance of two and bit full marathons based on your current regime?

alistaird

by alistaird

I did my first 100 miler in a day. Took 7 hours riding and 20 minutes of breaks. I built up to 130 miles a week with the longest ride being 50 miles. Last 25 miles was hard and hilly... But I'm in pretty good shape this morning. Wouldn't want to cycle as a bit sore and legs are a bit heavy.

I wouldn't want to attempt 100 with much less training!!!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

eraser501

by eraser501

There will be pain. Great line.
The pain will endure for days: butt, neck, legs, arms, psyche.
Picture cycling 110 miles per week, while doing a monthly 3 mile jog.
Then you go out to run a hilly marathon in six hours. Ouch.

KWalker

by KWalker

Yes.

Humans have marched much further in worse conditions with no training or food and been fine.

Anecdotally when I first started road riding I had done next to zero cardio outside of sled dragging and tire flipping for around 8 years. I could barely do 20mi without getting tired. I set the arbitrary goal of doing 100mi by the end of the month and knew nothing about training. I managed to ride 4 days a week, did a group ride every week and got horribly dropped, and at 220lbs managed to do the hilliest century I could find in April in Arizona. It was hard, I cramped, I was screwed for a few days after, but it was possible and challenging. I actually miss the fact that 100mi was difficult.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

noadapter wrote:Hi boys n girls..

Tell me is it possible to ride a 110 mile hilly undulating sportive without much distance training before hand I ride maybe 10 miles every month or so and enjoy running 10k and 10 mile distances on my day off.. I feel reasonable fit and recon I can achieve 110 miles but not sure how fast or slow I would be??..

Question 1...can 110 miles be done without training

2.....How many hours will it take??

I think a previous poster said it best: "There will be pain". However, it's doable. Lots of things are doable. I wouldn't not do it just because you haven't trained specifically for it. You sound reasonably fit and enjoy running 10 mile distances. I can ride my bike all day but running 10 miles would kill me.

How many hours will it take? Does it matter, as long as you finish before they all pack up at the end? I think if you're trying to beat or make a certain time, then that is what will be your downfall. Just go into it for the experience of having ridden that far, so you know for next time. If you try to push yourself from the get go, you most certainly will not have a smile on your face at the finish line. Drink fluids regularly during the ride and eat stuff at the rest stops. You'll be fine...

Looks like it's been a few weeks since you first posted the question. Maybe you've already done the event. If so, how did you fare?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ