Concussion recovery

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

glepore

by glepore

Had a non-cycling related concussion about 7 days ago (fell from a horse, out a couple minutes, disoriented for a bit longer). Not my first. Minor headache and general tiredness now. Rode 2 hrs after 3 days, and did a 4 hour club ride yesterday. Fine on the flats, but can't seem to put in long sustained efforts climbing yet. Was riding very well (for me) prior.

Open to advice and experience on what to expect and how to best deal...
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Feet up for a couple of weeks is what i had to do.
Doctors orders.
You been to the doctors yet?

If not, go. Can get all sorts of delayed effects, so it's best they know.

jrobart

by jrobart

Had a nasty fall back in May that led to a concussion. Suffered a set back in early July (lost my balance taking a nail out of a wall and then made the mistake of going for a boat ride, didn't hit my head in either case but the jarring was enough to do more damage). Scary stuff. Literally was then out of work for 5 weeks and just got back on the bike for the first time yesterday and was back at it this morning. Getting the heart rate up to 150 for the first time was noticeable!

Whatever you do, go see a doctor and do what he/she says!
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

glepore

by glepore

Ok, I get the md advice... .

Looks like this might be a longer haul than I anticipated. Being 57 doens't help...
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

boysa

by boysa

Age is certainly a factor. I've had quite a bit of head trauma through the years, and I've noticed where I used to be up and running in literally no time at all (riding in 1-2 days, racing the following weekend) now I take a bit longer to "clear the cobwebs."

A lot could also have to do with having a bit more common sense. I'm not in as much of a rush to get back in the fire, I guess.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

sanrensho

by sanrensho

I've seen a lot of concussions (youth sports).

Usually the protocol is at least 48 hours complete cognitive and physical rest...no music, TV, reading, Internet, exercise or even walks. Then gradually phase in activities as long as there are no symptoms (headaches/dizziness).

The worst possible thing you can do is re-concuss yourself before having recovered from your concussion. Go see a doctor and stay away from them horses!

drchull

by drchull

Pretty much perfect sanrensho. Usually about what I recommend for first concussion. Any return of symptoms shut it down again and wait longer. Can be a couple days, can be 6 months it is hard to predict.

I will add there are good physiotherapy programs for concussions if you can find one in your area.

c50jim

by c50jim

I had a concussion six years ago at age 59. I also had a broken vertebra and was in hospital in Bolzano for 18 days. The back was helped by pins inserted after a couple of days but they kept me and kept me because of the concussion (language might have been part of the problem too because they thought I didn't understand their orders to rest). When I came home, I went to see one of the local concussion experts (lots of them where there is lots of hockey). No strenuous exercise permitted for close to six months, no bike for 10.

Some concussion information on Canadian Cycling Association site. Here's a link to some recommendations for post concussion return to exercise.

http://www.cyclingcanada.ca/disciplines ... 02011_EN(2).pdf

Another general guide:

http://www.tdsb.on.ca/Portals/0/Element ... hletes.pdf

Here's a questionnaire an expert would ask you to do right after the injury and periodically thereafter:

http://www.biapei.com/SCAT.pdf

My physiotherapist works with the national speed skaters, He says it's not unusual for them to score well over 100 on that test when they've suffered a concussion. I think I scored less than 50 when I went to see the concussion doc here after about three weeks. He had me do the test every time I went to see him (About once a month for another three or four months). I wont' prescribe anything because I'm not a doctor but you should see one who has concussion expertise, not just a GP, and adhere to whatever advice you receive.

mattr

by mattr

FWIW, my last concussion was 15 years ago. (Caught an edge on the snowboard landing a jump.)
Medically speaking, things have moved on a *lot* since then. I suspect i'd have been spending a lot more time taking it easy if they knew then what they know now.......

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

Old topic, but I'll chime in. When I had a concussion a couple of years ago I had great succes with rest, but also adding omega 3, Magnesium pills, and craniosacral therapy. Worked wonders.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com