Same bikes, no changes but stated to get...

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

really bad pins and needles in my left hand/fingers to a point it goes numb.

Not changed my shoes, seats position and I have two bikes and it happens on both bikes.

Any ideas what is causing this?

Thanks.
"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alistaird

by alistaird

Interesting as I have similar problems. Some rides I can be 20 miles in and need to move hands around a lot to relieve them and other rides it's after 5. Had a bike fit and it's improved but not cured. I think with me I need to improve my core strength to reduce the weight I'm taking on my hands but yet to prove that theory.

Is it the left three fingers of your left hand or the right two and the thumb (as I believe they are affected by different nerves)?

A

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

alistaird wrote:Interesting as I have similar problems. Some rides I can be 20 miles in and need to move hands around a lot to relieve them and other rides it's after 5. Had a bike fit and it's improved but not cured. I think with me I need to improve my core strength to reduce the weight I'm taking on my hands but yet to prove that theory.

Is it the left three fingers of your left hand or the right two and the thumb (as I believe they are affected by different nerves)?

A

Left three fingers of my left hand, I MTB for around 6 hours a week so core strength etc is pretty good.
"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."

mattr

by mattr

I get the same thing.

Been doing some reading up and it could be lots of minor things like knocking the elbow/forearm and pinching nerves, worn out grips/tape, bars shifted etc etc.

It's easy to identify for me though.

I'm too fat and not strong enough.

alistaird

by alistaird

kingkongsfinger wrote:
alistaird wrote:Interesting as I have similar problems. Some rides I can be 20 miles in and need to move hands around a lot to relieve them and other rides it's after 5. Had a bike fit and it's improved but not cured. I think with me I need to improve my core strength to reduce the weight I'm taking on my hands but yet to prove that theory.

A

Left three fingers of my left hand, I MTB for around 6 hours a week so core strength etc is pretty good.

This may or may not help:

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowledge/article/izn20140820-Physiotherapy-Ask-the-Experts--Hand-and-wrist-pain-on-the-bike-0

A

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

Funny enough I asked the same question a few weeks ago and got some interesting replies -

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=140826

I am going to try and change the grips for something meatier and anatomic as my fist stab at dealing with the problem

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

alistaird wrote:
kingkongsfinger wrote:

A

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowledge/article/izn20140820-Physiotherapy-Ask-the-Experts--Hand-and-wrist-pain-on-the-bike-0

A

Good info there, will try wearing track mits.

alistaird

by alistaird

kingkongsfinger wrote:
alistaird wrote:
kingkongsfinger wrote:

A

A

Good info there, will try wearing track mits.

It's an interesting article. I still get some problems but they are improving as my fitness improves as well. Mitts and gel on the bars has helped me to a certain extent. Shifting position often is the best thing for me.

A

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com