Tacx Vortex Smart Trainer - Long Term Impressions?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

PJCM

by PJCM

I'm looking at a Tacx Vortex to get the most out of Zwift and other immersive platforms at a lower cost than premium units like the Wahoo etc.

Online reviews are generally positive with the exception of some firmware update niggles and separation of the metal roller sleeve from the plastic drive shaft, which looks to be DIY fixable using epoxy if it occurs.

Any experiences among the WW community re performance and reliability over time?

AlphaDogCycling

by AlphaDogCycling

Expect a big DC Rainmaker trainer review in September. Personally, unless you need it right now, I'd wait till after Eurobike / Interbike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yinya

by yinya

I only have a month on it. I guess for the discount vs. Neo/Kickr it's a good deal and gets intervals done. But I am looking forward to what Kickr 2.0 will bring and probably will sell mine. TBD. It's noisy, came out of the box with the rotating blade bent and scratching the magnets, but managed to bend it to more or less ok so now only the normal noise that I drown in music, but for sure your partner will wake up when you exercise...connectivity works as advertised - Zwift works nicely with it and Trainerroad gets the job done too. Biggest issue is watts being off my Powertap. I warm up, calibrate with tacx app - it is more or less the same around 160-170 watts for both, at 120w tacx gives 10-20w less vs. powertap, but more annoyingly, 300w on tacx is 265w or so on PT and at 450w on tacx PT gives 400w.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Perhaps, or more succinctly - I am - missing the boat here. But after trying Zwift the last 2 years, I "really like it". In that, for over 20 years I wanted an offseason, goal oriented, platform to keep engaged in the long winter months. Had Zwift been developed 12 years ago, I'd be on it day and night and would have loved every minute (or 3 hour session). But that's no longer what I have time for, and there are other players in the game now.

I use Tacx and it's perfect for my needs. Real Life Video is stunning and if I start out with a 80km route, the only thing that will stop me from completing the course is a visit from my wife in the basement. But, I am very available should anything go wrong - in the summer, this is not the case.

Tacx gives you Real Life Video - also with real-time competition or (my favorite) ghost racing - either yourself from last week, a friend, a pro, whatever. If you like the real-time racing with friends like Zwift, Tacx does that too. Want to race on the track in real-time with other track racers? Easy. Want to ride on some realistic MTB courses in real-time with top-notch MTB racers from across Europe and North America? Easy.

I am shocked when people purchase a Tacx trainer only to use it with Zwift. It's like buying a brand new car that can go anywhere, then saying you prefer the bus for the convenience.

If you like Zwift, that's great!
If you want something more, Tacx is the ticket. The videos they create are above and beyond what anyone else is creating at the moment. The selection of courses is also fantastic.

My biggest complaint is the noise which tends to get louder over the years. The homemade 'fix' requires a day or 2, but it's a manageable DIY affair.
Tacx should be high on the list of anyone bored with Zwift and if noise is important (if living in a flat or simply want to cut down on ambient noise), the Tacx Neo should be on your short list to try out. It's on mine for sure.

I've honestly had days with good weather when for one reason or another, wanted ride a Tacx route instead of actually riding a real road. Happens to the best of us I suppose.
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

PJCM

by PJCM

Thanks for the advice.

The appeal of Zwift is largely to connect with friends using the same platform for some fun and its great that there is an array of other immersive options that connect with smart trainers.

The Tacx software looks good and I like the fixed cost aspect rather than likely switching Zwift monthly subscriptions on and off depending on activity/season, not that the cost of the latter is significant.

Good to hear that the roller sleeve issue is DIY fixable though disappointing that Tacx don't appear to have done anything about it in terms of design.