Thinking of getting an Edge 520

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

Having swapped from a Bryton 40 to a Garmin 520 at the beginning of December, I can say - do it. My Bryton seems equivalent to a Garmin 500 but the features on the 520 are just awesome.

I particularly like the ride tracking feature. This gives my partner peace of mind while I am out riding solo and I believe this enhances safety. Navigation and turn by turn routing works well (best to install open maps instead of the garmin basemap).

Really is a fantastic device (I'm sure the Polar one and wahoo equivalents are great too - but I am locked into an ANT+ ecosystem right now).

RedCoke

by RedCoke

Have evey tried on ebay? Anyway, the price range of garmin is very different. I have been used HK garmin over 3years, but no issue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shotgun

by shotgun

TheDarkInstall wrote:
shotgun wrote:I liked my 810, but the rubber of the power button fell into the unit, so I'm having it repaired. I got a 520 in the meantime, and I find 6 or 7 buttons harder to use.

Exact same thing happened to me.

You can repair it yourself!

1. Get an old cash card / credit card.

2. Cut away all of the split rubber from the power button hole using a sharp craft knife.

3. Cut one piece of credit card to fit in the hole, so that a small amount, maybe 1mm is sticking out the end. Once you have got this size correct, cut more pieces of the same size from the credit card. SuperGlue them together.

4. This is your new 'power button'. Slide it into the hole to see if it fits. If not, file the edges until it does. If it is a bit loose, add another layer of card, either from the credit card, or from something thinner.

5. Put the power button in, so it is sitting right up against the micro-switch inside.

6. Put a bit of electrical tape over the whole thing.

I did this months ago to my 810 and it is still going strong now. This is a massive design cock up by Garmin (which surprises nobody, obviously), and Garmin were ridiculously shit about responding to any emails I sent them about warrantying it. But that is how you fix it, anyway.

Thanks! I'll give this a shot!
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

kervelo

by kervelo

kervelo wrote:One annoying issue related to 520 is the incompatibility with Wahoo TICKR. The 520 can find the TICKR easily, but the HR is not shown during the workout. Every now and then the HR figure is visible, but then it disappears again. At the same time the HR from the Wahoo TICKR is shown correctly on other devices, for example in Trainerroad running on iPad, so the belt is working fine.

The issue is discussed on the Garmin forums. The solution seems to be replacing the TICKR with TICKR RUN or TICKR X.

The Wahoo TICKR issue seems to be related to the older versions. If the TICKR version is 7, it is not possible to make it work with 520, but the newer versions should work.