Coming back

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tomb

by tomb

Alright, I have been away from cycling for the last 5-6 year and am looking to return to a decent level of form again and am trying to work out the best way to go about it. In the past I put in a lot of 15-20 hour weeks to get to a good level which I just don't have the time for now.

For the last couple of months I have just been enjoying riding and getting back in to the swing of things, this last 4 weeks I have run a more focused block of tempo/sweet spot work to build my aerobic base.

I am not sure how long I should continue tempo work for or if there is going to be much more benefit from doing another 3 week block of tempo seeing as I am not getting the stress of doing the long hours I used to do during a tempo block.

At the moment I am doing 2 days a week in the gym and 2 days on the ergo. Both days on the weekend I am on the bike.

In the past my FTP was around 4.8-9 w/kg and I would like to get back to that level with a real focus on my 3-5 min power.

If anyone has some experience or insight in coming back after such a long time off the bike it would be much appreciated.

boots2000

by boots2000

What is your age?
How much time do you have to put into cycling (and how much time do you desire to train)?

Keep in mind that 5-6 years off is a lot, especially when you want to return to a high level. Takes even more time as we age.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tomb

by tomb

I'm 31. At the moment I am putting in 8 - 10 hours a week, I could bump it up to 15 if I had to.

I finished my first base block yesterday and decided I should see where my FTP is sitting at the moment, I was only 30 watts off my old best which surprised me.

I am probably going to run 2 more base cycles with the same focus on tempo / sweet spot work and see if I can push my FTP past my old level before I move in to some harder training.

This is the base cycle I have been running.