Transition from a climber to a sprinter?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

chris47

by chris47

For all my life i have been very lean, which has helped me when climbing, but the races here in denmark usually always end in bunch sprints. Is it even possible to make such a drastic transition? And if so, what kind of training should i focus on doing? (I have a powermeter and access to a gym)

Thanks in advance :beerchug:

chris47

by chris47

:oops: Whoops, posted in the wrong category
Can i get a moderator to move the post?
Sorry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hna

by hna

In my own experience the type of rider you are is very defined by genetics. It's possible to work within the confines of what you're given, but drastic changes will be difficult or even impossible in some cases.

What does your power profile look like? It can be helpful to give some sort of indication.

beatle

by beatle

+ 1

chris47

by chris47

Thanks for the reply despite it being pretty sad :(
I weigh 48kg and i can put out 1200 watts in a sprint and i have an ftp of 265 watts.
Knowing that my power numbers are on the low end, i try to get as low as possible when sprinting( a la caleb ewan)

fa63

by fa63

48 kg?!?

I suggest moving out of Denmark into a mountainous country. Switzerland perhaps?
:D

eric

by eric

Sprinting is mostly fast twitch muscle. Some types of fast twitch can be converted into slow twitch but I don't think it works the other way.
But what you have can be strengthened through training, and I don't think that anyone has zero fast twitch.

A good part of sprinting is positioning and timing and those can be improved through practice.

hna

by hna

Another very important point is being fresh at the end of races. It might sound counter-intuitive, but working towards a higer FTP might be the answer to a better sprint in races. With more energy and with good positioning and timing it is possible to get solid placings even without crazy high power numbers.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Giving a magazine interview, my local cycling association's coach doing national trials said

"Six seconds measure neuromuscular power. It shows quick reaction time, explosive power, whereas 30 seconds is where the endurance component of sprinting can be found, that’s where you heavily tap on your stores of glucose to give you energy. So 30 seconds basically can tell us who are the ones that can really sprint for a longer distance.

The four-minute test provides an indication of potential sustained power over longer periods."

In my opinion, time to peak power is very important, reaction time needs to be in the milliseconds range when the first guy jumps and from there the faster you can achieve your peak wattage the better.

beatle

by beatle

chris47 wrote:Thanks for the reply despite it being pretty sad :(
I weigh 48kg and i can put out 1200 watts in a sprint...

Look for finishes with a bit of an uphill sprint.

helldiver

by helldiver

If you really weigh 48kg and you can push 1200W in sprint, your max w/kg is higher then world champion/world record holder:
With that, you should be able to completely dominate any sprint finish which is even slightly (more then 2-3%) uphill. Your FTP
is quite low in comparison (5.5W/kg), so you are already a sprinter/fast-twitch guy.

DanW

by DanW

i can put out 1200 watts in a sprint

This is most likely a spike in your power meter. Stages are pretty bad for this for example.

If you are 48kg and have a 1200W sprint then you shouldn't have any complaints.

KarlC

by KarlC

DanW wrote:
i can put out 1200 watts in a sprint

This is most likely a spike in your power meter. Stages are pretty bad for this for example.

If you are 48kg and have a 1200W sprint then you shouldn't have any complaints.

Whaaaattttt .... you mean the 1690 Max Watts my Stages PM showed on my last ride is not right ???
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

DanW

by DanW

Well, I have a consistent 2000W 1s power... coincidentally the largest W's Stages can record but I'm sure that has nothing to do with it and I am indeed awwwwwsome ;) :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

I delete all rides that don't contain power spikes.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC