Scrotum redness/soreness after riding

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

djbowen99

by djbowen99

For a while now after I go for a ride my scrotum skin is insanely red and sore for a few days. It is becoming a problem as my training is very limited.

I have tried almost every chamois cream on the market and a few others like Udder Cream and some vaseline type products. Nothing seems to work, the only thing i can come up with is that my legs are very skinny requiring x-small bibs and there's just not enough room in them for the rest of me.

Todays ride i used DZ Pro cream and applied a good layer to the normal problem spot and it did absolutely nothing. Current bibs are ProBikeKit branded Sportful with the basic chamois but this has been the case with all bibs.

Has anyone else experienced this and have any insight as to what to do? I am 5'10'' 135lbs and more legs than torso so bib shopping isn't easy, i always feel like there's too much chamois...

Rick

by Rick

Things to check:
Saddle too high ?
Switch saddles to something different ?
Use only plain vaseline for chamois lube; no ingredients that may cause irritation.
Wash crotch with an antibiotic "acne scrub" type soap, and rinse throughly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Allergic to the cream? Did you try without?

mrgray

by mrgray

as alluded to above could this be an allergic reaction or even skin infection coming from the bib? is it something felt after the ride of is there a friction during the ride? i think i'd be looking into a skin issue rather than a mechanical/friction issue as i've stuffed myself into too small gear (i used to be fattish) and never suffered a hint of irritation. also cream has a wonderful effect if any irritation is experienced (the stuff is very effective is what i am saying). i think we are dealing with some sort of dermatitis here. perhaps the heat of the training reignites the skin condition? best of luck dealing with it. losing out on riding time to something like that must be a drag.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

by 11.4

Since you've tried that many chamois creams, it's not likely to be the creams. They are generally formulated with hypoallergenic considerations in mind.

I'd think about the laundry detergent and/or fabric softener you are using, for starters.

Second, you haven't said where you're riding, but you could have a case of heat dermatitis. These come on for no apparent reason and don't like to cure themselves. You may need a short steroid therapy to make it go away.

Third, it sounds like you don't have a good fit to your bibs. This isn't too likely, since you've tried different bibs, but you may be pulling at scrotal hair. Try shaving and see if it does any good. Long shot, but it could minimize a variety of potential issues.

djbowen99

by djbowen99

I'm in San Francisco, weather has been pretty cool. This has been going on for years now, i have tried a few different shorts but i feel that once i try a chamois cream with a pair of shorts it never really all washes away so i don't know if it's allergy related.

Oswald

by Oswald

Do you shave down there? :mrgreen:

boots2000

by boots2000

Do you dry your bibs in the dryer and use dryer sheets?
The chemicals in dryer sheets messed up my crotch.
We had to stop using them and air dry my bibs.

djbowen99

by djbowen99

I do not shave there, just buzz with #1 spacer

I air dry my bibs, they have slipped though and have been dried with a drier sheet but it's been a while.

by 11.4

This thread needs to become a sticky.

(Sorry, there's no nice way to say that.)

boysa

by boysa

As has been stated, sounds as if you have something which requires additional treatment to cure. Could need a steroid cream or similar, but I would HIGHLY recommend a trip to the doc. If you guess wrong, and go with the wrong type of medication, you could exacerbate the problem. Best to hit it and hit it hard... the sooner the better.

Been there. I feel your pain.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Oswald

by Oswald

I would see a doctor. Also ask for an allergy test. And don't ride your bike for a week or two so it has time to heal.

Rick

by Rick

Also consider the possibility of simple "jock itch", for which there are numerous creams and powders at any pharmacy. That's a fungal infection that can take some time to cure and will recur if you don't get it cured completely and/or don't get your shorts washed thoroughly.

romalor

by romalor

Deleted. There's no need for this.

djbowen99

by djbowen99

quote deleted; inappropriate

So funny, how old are you?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com