Bigger cogs or more training?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dmulligan

by dmulligan

I wish I was as strong as you guys. I run a Shimano 11 speed 50/34 with 11/28 and on a 9% average 1.1km ascent I can just spin up it at 90 rpm in 34:28 at CP5 which means I can just make it up that climb before I blow up. If a climb with that grade is any longer I am mashing.
I am 185lbs and live in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in Calgary.

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prebsy

by prebsy

I've opted for maximum range on my bike running 55/42 rings with an 11-32 for training. I think with shimanos new FD you could even get away with a 55/39. There's no worse feeling than having a poor ride because of gear selection.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Ezra

by Ezra

a
Last edited by Ezra on Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iliedanila

by iliedanila

Sometimes when the gradient is more than 10% you actually can go faster, longer and more comfortable with a 32 in the back.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Depends on your style really. I did a hilly 100 mile sportive yesterday and whenever I tried a lower gear (cadence 80 ish) I just got so out of shape and it felt really hard as I felt I had to keep sitting. It's probably a case of adjusting but i'm so much happier is a moderate gear and being out of the saddle, probably due to weighting 56 kg so having relatively low power. I've never liked sitting much and when I was younger always rode a 53/39 12-25 for all UK riding. There are very few hills in the UK that'll take more than a 10 minute effort. When I used to go abroad for sportives I'd put on a 13-29 so I had a bail out gear, I found any less that the 39/29 combo would just feel like no progress. I tried a compact but could not get on with it at all as the 50/11 combo always gave me issues (always had problems with 11T sprockets) and the 34 just felt so small so I used an 11-23 all the time which negated any benefit.

Now i'm on 52/36 which seems to offer the best of both worlds and so far the 12-25 cassette gives nice tight ratios. There's probably been 2 occasions I can think of over the last year when I'd have wanted an 11T and about the same when I'd have wanted a 27T. If I was to start racing again next year I'd probably put an 11-25 on and if I do any mountainous sportives I'd get the 12-27 on.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra