power on flats vs climbs

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

Tinea Pedis wrote:It's been said by others before: specificity is king.

basically this x10000

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PanaRob

by PanaRob

If you read Ferrari's blog, all his pro athletes could put down slightly better power and lactate values when testing on climbs.

Climbing > Outdoor flats > Indoor Trainer or rollers

So your experience is normal!

MrMojo

by MrMojo

I would guess it could be down to wind resistance. Lets say you are climbing at 300w, you will be going slower than 300w on the flat therefore creating less wind resistance and drag on the climb.

Can't explain anymore but this is my answer. :D
2021 Colnago Master
2020 Colnago C64
2017 Colnago C60
2017 Colnago V1-R
2014 Cipollini RB1K
2008 Colnago Extreme C
2005 Colnago C50
2001 Colnago C40
1996 Colnago Tecnos

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

HillRPete wrote:
Multebear wrote:I've been training with a couple of cat 1 riders in spain in the mountains, and they told me about how it's easier to sustain higher watts when climbing. It made sense to me. But maybe you're right, that it isn't true for all. But I think it's true for most riders.

This will certainly the case when your TT position is overly aggressive, and restricting you.

I have a TT position that would be aggressive for some, yet (as mentioned before) because I specifically train a lot in it not only do I hold more better power on the TT bike over my road bike (out to about 60 minutes) I also push more on the flat than compared to uphill.

Specificity is king. CT did an article on it

https://cyclingtips.com/2013/09/climbin ... -affected/

and the big take away point is

In short, your motor patterns are significantly different between time trialing and climbing.

Wade goes on to state genetic predisposition plays a large role. However you can train a lot of that too. TTs are primarily on the flats - holding power, be it TT bike or road bike, on the flat ground is hard. The math within the article holds, regardless of what bike it is you're on. This is why many riders find they can sustain higher power on a climb.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

My climbing power has stayed relatively constant over 4 years but power on the flat has increased a lot. Doing lots more rollers (not a turbo) seems to have helped leg speed which provides more efficient power on the flat I think. I also think that riding on the flat is more muscle specific so experience and repetition count more. It's also more muscle specific because your speed depends tons on your position on the flat where climbing it doesn't mean crap. Holding an aero position for a long time takes its own physiological cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Ever year, I emerge from my winter death-by-rollers routine and my climbing sucks. Producing less power on the climbs than I am on flat or rolling terrain.

Then, a few months later, I'm magically producing as much or more power on the climbs.

So, like most people, it seems I naturally produce more power on the climbs. But I spend three months training my body to ride in a completely different manner by doing intervals on the rollers. I'm using different muscle recruitment patterns. Different cadences. Makes sense to me.