Over reaching pain issue - advice required.

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Long short story, but been having 'chronic' neck ache and C5 vertebrae issues on and off since I got back on the bike last year after not riding in 2014. Always been in between sizes and always preferred the bigger bike, usually 'race' geo, which may have caused over reaching issues, given that I am now currently hiring / loaning / demoing a smaller bike which feels shorter and not pulling the neck into the shoulders.

However, a question I ask is how long does the pain take to go away or is the damage done ? The hope is that the shorter reach and relaxed position will help ebb the pain away along with what I am doing off the bike. Has anyone had long term neck or shoulder issues ? If yes, can it be managed away or is it something I have to live with ?

I am now on a Medium TCR and its fine though stiffer than a nuns underpants so thinking about a plush budget bike like a Synapse over the coming weeks / months.

Nice one, thanks for any input.

drchull

by drchull

If it is on and off it is probably not permanent. I won't guess at what is going on.

My recommendation, assuming your doctor has eliminated serious issues, is physiotherapy and professional bike fit ASAP. If you are hopping from one bike to the other saying this one feels better than that one you need a professional bike fit tailored to your issues.

I ride what is supposed to be a very stiff bike an a first generation foil and find it as comfortable as my comfort bike because I use 25C tires at low pressure and have a good fit. Probably better off spending the money on a fitting than a comfort bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

drchull wrote:If it is on and off it is probably not permanent. I won't guess at what is going on.

My recommendation, assuming your doctor has eliminated serious issues, is physiotherapy and professional bike fit ASAP. If you are hopping from one bike to the other saying this one feels better than that one you need a professional bike fit tailored to your issues.

I ride what is supposed to be a very stiff bike an a first generation foil and find it as comfortable as my comfort bike because I use 25C tires at low pressure and have a good fit. Probably better off spending the money on a fitting than a comfort bike.

Yes, I hear you. Took some solid advice and have a bike fit booked for next Monday. Also downsized my frame and have already gained 4 /5cm's of reach. Thanks.

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

So, finally caved in and had a bike fight on my new Synapse. Interesting thing, but as a seasoned roadie, I thought I was dialled in, but alas, pretty wide of the mark. Bike geo is so peculiar and as I am now on a 54cm Synapse with a steep seat tube I needed some adjustment. Booked to see a chap called Tony here after googling bike fit in the South West -

http://www.tribecyclesolutions.co.uk/

A superb fit and experience. Superb value for money. He has a slightly more holistic approach than the goniometer and chin scratch, though fit in included biometric assessment, strength test, before and after Q&A. Lasers, motion as well as old skool techniques used. Went out for a 32 miler this morning and felt on the money saddle wise, literally in the sweet spot - not felt like that in a long time. Saddle height was spot on too, we also adjusted my cleats and again, I felt like I was pedalling smoothly, knees tracking well and dragging the rug as I call it. All in all, after spending huge ££££ on bikes, lesson learned that a fit at £99 is worth every penny. If you are local, ergo South West UK, I recommend Tony all day long.