Power at VO2max increase

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

JimV

by JimV

I remember reading some research a couple of years ago about what kind of increase in power at VO2max, from intervals in the 3-5 minute neighborhood would be. My recollection was 3-5watts a week. I've been doing it so long that I can do it by feel, but for a person that is new that is not an option. Doing a 6min test every week doesn't seem like a good plan either. I have done a google search and all that comes up is what VO2max is and how to do intervals. If anyone has any links to that kind of research I would appreciate it.

AlexJ

by AlexJ

Word of caution, some papers use un-trained individuals or even sedentary.

I'll have a dig around, think I have a few papers kicking around.

Every one is different, the in terms of does-reponsone relationship, with many factors having having an influence on V̇O2max
any particular reason to want to know the increase rate?

A
MTB Rider.

TORQ Performance.
#Science

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Not exactly what you're asking in the ballpark and study on fit individuals (high 60s vo2max not couch potatoes)...
http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2014/07/hi ... ation.html
Also a really good read...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3912323/

JimV

by JimV

I think my preference would be for someone to fail on the 4th or 5th of 5 intervals, rather get done and not really know that they were going to easy. Trying to help someone learn with out having to learn the hard way. Once you have done it enough, you should have a good idea on the 2nd or 3rd of 5 if it is too easy or hard.

jamesbass

by jamesbass

Reminds me of another post from a well-respected coach Alex Simmons a while back:
http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... #p14838743

During your general training phase, and presuming training is consistent, every hour spent at ~ TT level* riding of at least 10-min contiguous durations will see a rise in your TT power of around 1-2 watts.

Working out the right dose of intensity sometimes requires application of the "Goldilocks Strategy".

* Coggan Level 4, or RST Zone 4/5

My guess is that it would be in the same range as this because of the fact that L4 and L5 adaptations are largely the same physiological processes.

If you need studies, it may be worth asking on the Google wattage group or its relation "Cycling Physiology" where Alex & other power-geek coaches post.

jamesbass

by jamesbass

Forgot to mention, there's a massive element of individuality that comes into play too.

Veronique Billat is a big name in VO2 Max research, using runners mainly, but she usually uses micro-interval protocols and is famous for "inventing" the famous 15/15 or 30/30 intervals. There is debate as to wheter or not these are more effective than 5 minute longer intervals because they allow you to extend the time spent near VO2 Max but some people say that reaching a higher VO2 Max peak harder via longer intervals is superior even though you're "there" for a shorter period of time due to needing to immediately stop and recover.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com