Wahoo Kicker Vs Tacx Neo ?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mai

by mai

the noise difference isn't even funny. for me that's a difference between training and no training at all. with the neo i can work out even when the baby's fast asleep.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I've never found my Kickr to be noisy, but I also run a 900mm drum fan and big Sterio with Tiesto/Beastie Boys/ Sabbath/ Amity Affliction or something equally obnoxious playing at 9/10ths

I can deffinately see the appeal of a silent trainer in that situation tho. The difference between getting it done and getting spat out the back.
Using Tapatalk

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

mulletmaster wrote:Neos are cheaper here than kickrs.

I ride in the TT position only and more and more evidence is coming out that we use totally different muscular firing sequences with differing kinetic energies.

Where are you located such that Neo's are cheaper?

And have any links to the studies? Interested to read them.

mulletmaster wrote:The kicks is akin to riding everywhere on a 3% gradient.

Is there a reference to the Kickr (assuming that's what you meant by 'kicks')?

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

I´ve had tacx hometrainers since 2000 and I´ve had tacx virtual trainers since 2004. Last winter I switched to a kickr and I am never going back to tacx.
Why? Because there is so much quality problems with tacx products. The virtual trainers were a nightmare with software. Then came the Fortius which was a nightmare with the motorbrake. The neo also has a motorbrake and it breaks quite easily if you push a lot of watts.

Tacx usually has great customer service if your hardware breaks. Software support? Forget about it. Instead you can join all other unhappy tacxowners in their forum and there you get the help from other users. I managed one winter using more hours with software issues than on the trainer itself...!

Of course now you can use a Neo with Zwift and not bother with tacx software. As said the Neo construction is not for high watt riders. A cheaper version of the neo is coming called Flux it will have a 1000 watt as max power.... Says it all...

The kickr yes it is a bit more noisy than the NEO (5 db measured på DC rainmaker I believe) Wahoo is releasing a quieter updated kickr at Eurobike. The kickr has no problem handling high watts in sprints. It has no motorbrake that can break. I would choose a kickr over tacx neo anytime!
The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie

junchen

by junchen

One thing about the Neo which the kickr doesn't support, and is not able to support. - simulating various Road surfaces.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/07/tacx ... terns.html

Tacx has enabled road patterns in the Tacx NEO smart trainer, which means that it can simulate the feeling of riding over different road conditions. Yes, it actually shakes your trainer when you hit rougher terrain. It uses the motor inside the NEO frame at millisecond frequencies to essentially shudder the trainer, providing the feeling of different road patterns. It’s sorta like armpit farting – with enough creativity and speed, you can create wonderful works of art. In this case, replica art of various road conditions.

The NEO can replicate the following nine road patterns:

Concrete plates
Cattle grid
Cobblestones (hard)
Cobblestones (soft)
Brick road
Off road (compact dirt)
Gravel
Ice
Wooden boards

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

So a rather useless feature that will needlessly stress the unit? Sweet [emoji14]
Using Tapatalk

boysa

by boysa

+1. I can't imagine why in the world I would ever use such a "feature."
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Massaging saddle sores on a reco ride?
Using Tapatalk

jeffy

by jeffy

Slightly redundant as Kickr 2.0 is "on the way".

Any Kickr users confident enough to run a bike without a PM not their Kickr, and use their Kickr numbers/test results on the road(with a separate PM)?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

If you have enough reference points to know what the difference is between them then there should be no issue.
Using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hey, have any of you guys used a Lemond Revolution. I've been on mine lately and really do like the "feel" of it but was wondering how it compares to the Kickr etc?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I don't find feel to be an issue tho I only use mine as a tool for intervals. I don't find a difference to when I've used a lemond in this respect.
Using Tapatalk

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

jeffy wrote:Slightly redundant as Kickr 2.0 is "on the way".

Any Kickr users confident enough to run a bike without a PM not their Kickr, and use their Kickr numbers/test results on the road(with a separate PM)?

Well the PM in a Kickr is made by stages and is one sided. If you have a two sided PM for the road I would use it with the kickr.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

One sided power meter in a Kickr? You took the brown acid didn't you...

Each one of my power meters has a repeatable % of variance to my Kickr, knowing this its easy to calculate the difference.
Using Tapatalk

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

Nefarious86 wrote:One sided power meter in a Kickr? You took the brown acid didn't you...

Each one of my power meters has a repeatable % of variance to my Kickr, knowing this its easy to calculate the difference.

You get one value as in a stages pm. And the PM in a kickr is made by stages. If you have a crankbased or two sided pedal pm I see the point in using it with the kickr. And one sided yes. Crank side ie "hub=kickr" measured no?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com