Worth doing another three weeks of base?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

Right I have done 3 x three weeks of build with a rest week between each block (I am 50 years old) My plan, just a generic one off Trainingpeaks, has me going onto build and race. However, I have a week in Girona coming up in two weeks time. I asked the coach of my plan and she suggested just taking a break in the plan ending the week and having a rest and re starting. This seems sensible but I was just contemplating adding another three week base block with the week in Girona being the final week. I would make this three week block a big harder than the last three week block of my base plan finishing with a 'super big' week on training camp. I am used to camps so can handle the jump in linkage quite well

I am racing MTB and crits in the summer, with no real goals other than to be competitive, once I get back from Girona. My my main aim is the UK CX season starting in September. The timing are that if I just insert two weeks my plan runs out early July so after a short rest I could go into base again through July into August for CX. If I insert another three week block now then I have a shorter base running though August for the CX season.

Sorry lots of background there. So, any benefit of doing another three week base after already having down a decent progressive base period of 12 weeks with appropriate rests?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

listen to the person u pay money to. enjoy girona as part of the rest. U'll appreciate it differently

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Man, at 50 years old I suspect you're probably not a highly paid professional bike racer. You're going to Girona, for vacation I presume, and will be cycling. That's so awesome. ENJOY it. Forget the training plan. It's a week of your life. When are you going to be back in Girona? If you're cycling over there, I doubt you'll be far off your training goals anyway, and may be further ahead at the end just for allowing yourself to regroup in a different way. Like @nathangong87 just said, you'll appreciate it differently and your "training plan" can resume when you return.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

Oh I will enjoy Girona, been before and the cycling is fantastic. Even better (or worse depending on how you look at it) we are finishing off at Ventoux!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Nice! I'm jealous. Not been to Girona but certainly been up Ventoux. Enjoy.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

Get yourself to Girona at least once. Great cycling, decent climbs, nice rides and quite a cheap part of the world to eat and drink. People are great as wel.l

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

When in doubt, try doing what your coach told you to do in the first place.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG